Have you been to Africa? I say: I think so, but It must've been a long time ago, be

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Have you been to Africa? I say:

I think so, but It must've been a long time ago, because I don't remember much of the trip.

Can this be said?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't say "I think so". You either have or haven't been to Africa.

Try: "Yes, but it was a long time ago, so I don't remember much about the trip."

B

B45

What if you really don't remember?

How about the second and third part of the sentence - It must've been a long time ago, because I don't remember much of the trip.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You would know whether it was a long time ago or not. "Must have" doesn't make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In that use, "must have been" is an assumption. You would know for certain if it had been a long time ago.

B

B45

But what if I truly went to so many places with my parents as a kid that I don't remember if I've been to Africa or not... Kinda like how I've lost track of many places I visited when I was a very young kid 20+ years ago?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think so, but It must've been a long time ago, because I don't remember much of the trip.
Much of what trip then? The sentence doesn't hang together semantically.
"I remember that our family went on a trip a long time ago, but I don't remember much about it. So I could have gone to Africa."

PS: We crossed in posting. That scenario at least makes sense.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you talk to your parents? Could they fill in the details? This whole thread is becoming absurd. A trip that never happened could not have been a long time ago.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What if I truly went to so many places with my parents as a kid that I don't remember.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Batman:

The following dialogue is based on actual facts in my life of 77 years here in California:

Mona: Have you ever been to Arizona? I'm writing an article for the Senior Citizens [pensioners] Monthly.

James: I don't know.

Mona: What do you mean that you don't know?

James: Well, I think that I remember hearing something about my parents having taken me to Arizona on a short visit when I was an infant. But I certainly do not remember any such visit, and maybe I am even imagining that I ever heard such a thing. Therefore, for all intents and purposes, I can honestly say that I have never been to Arizona.

Mona: OK. I'll report that you have never been to Arizona.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you really can't remember which countries you visited on this imaginary trip, you would say "I might have been to Africa. I'm not sure. I went on a long trip with my parents many years ago but it was so long ago that I can't really remember where we went".

I would find it odd if you didn't even know which continent you went to. It would be understandable if you couldn't remember which individual countries in Africa you visited, I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.