Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
ABC News chief health and medical editor Dr. Richard Besser called the case concerning, adding that public health officials will need to investigate how the exposure occurred. While the CDC has said that any hospital is capable of safely treating Ebola, Besser said health care workers need training and practice using protective equipment to do so successfully. "I would never have gone into an Ebola ward in Africa without being dressed and decontaminated by experts," he said. "Health care workers here should expect no less."

About the underlined part, does it mean that Besser had gone into an Ebola ward in Africa without being dressed and decontaminated by experts before,and if he had known the case earlier, he would not have done that?

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Malta
No, it simply means that he would not have gone into an Ebloa ward in Africa without being dressed and decontaminated by experts in the past. He wouldn't then and he wouldn't now. If he had said "I would have gone into an Ebloa ward...", that would mean that he would have gone, but with the never, he is saying that it is something which he wouldn't do.

I hope this helps!

TMF

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum.

No — it means the opposite. Besser never went into an Ebola ward without the proper equipment and said care workers should not have to do so either.

EDIT: cross-posted with TMF.

嘟嘟嘟嘟

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Then why would he say "I would never have gone into..." instead of "I would never go into..."? What is the function of "have gone"? What's the difference between the two?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"I would never go" present or future. "I would never have gone" past until now.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'Die' is an intransitive verb, so you should say 'someone is dead' instead of 'someone is died'.

Not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.