Helping others is a habit,____ you can learn even at an early age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"He admires Mrs. Brown, which surprises me." ( = and THIS surprises me) -- Quirk and Greenbaum, A Concise Grammar of Contemporary English.

"The night was dark, which made the journey dangerous." -- Smart, English Review Grammar.

"We are going to move quickly, which is just what our opponents do not expect." -- Pence and Emery, A Grammar of Present-Day English.

I think it's only fair to point out to the OP that Quirk and Greenbaum, A Concise Grammar of Contemporary English was written in 1985, which could probably be considered "contemporary". However, Pence and Emery, A Grammar of Present-Day English, was written in 1963 and W K Smart's English Review Grammar most recent edition appears to be from 1942.

Whilst it is true that many points of grammar have not changed for decades, if not centuries, and I don't dispute any of the examples given above, learners should be aware that there are much more up-to-date grammar guides which are invaluable when dealing with modern structures.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You native speakers instinctively know that ‘you can learn even at an early age’ should be a restrictive relative clause to ‘habit’, not a non-restrictive one. Could I say that?

Thank you very much for your very kind words.

Regarding your question, I want you to get the most accurate answer possible, so I will let a teacher answer it.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.