Which one of "on one hand" and "on the on hand" is the only correct in English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystalxm

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Which one of "on one hand" and "on the on hand" is the only correct in English?

[FONT=宋体][/FONT]Hi, teachers!
[FONT=宋体][/FONT]Last week, when I conversed with myroommates, we had different ideas on a language issue about which one of"on one hand" and "on the one hand" is the only correct inEnglish or is preferable to native speakers of English. Well, in my opinion,"on the one hand" is a formal expression and I prefer saying this.What's more, in our textbooks, I often read a phrase like "on the one hand[FONT=&#23435]…[/FONT]on the other hand". In addition, I can remember clearlythat once when I had an exam in high school before the college entranceexamination, we were tested about this phrase. At that time, our teachers toldus that “on the one hand” is exactly the right answer. Several days before, whenI talked with my friends in Canadabout this question, they also told me to use "on the one hand". However,some of my roommates still hold the opposite opinion and we can't agree witheach other. Then, dear teachers, what do you think? I would appreciate it ifyou tell me your ideas.
[FONT=宋体][/FONT]Thanks.
[FONT=宋体][/FONT]

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Re: Which one of "on one hand" and "on the on hand" is the only correct in English?

In my opinion both are equally correct.

Kristenhcy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
on one hand and on the one hand

Dear teachers,
Recently , I have been bothered by two phrases of ‘ on one hand ’ and ‘on the one hand ’, which I found on different textbooks. I got really confused since to my understanding these two phrases share the same meaning when comparing two different facts or two opposite ways of thinking about a situation. So I wonder what’s the minor differences between the two or which is correct or preferred to native speakers of English? I’d appreciate it if you could help me. Looking forward to your early reply.:):):)
Best wishes.
Kristen

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: on one hand and on the one hand

Please refer all your classmates to the Similar Threads below.

Status
Not open for further replies.