Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is there any strict rule for placing common nouns and acronyms/proper nouns together? For ex. in sentence "armed with antitank equipment and SAM-7 anti-aricraft missiles", does the "SAM-7" must go before "missiles" and the other order will be just plain wrong ( "...and anit-aircraft missiles SAM-7" )? Or, for ex. "Pentium microprocessor was developed in..". Can I say "microprocessor Pentium was developed"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is there any strict rule for placing common nouns and acronyms/proper nouns together? For example, in the sentence fragment "armed with antitank equipment and SAM-7 anti-aircraft missiles", [STRIKE]does[/STRIKE] must the "SAM-7" [STRIKE]must[/STRIKE] go before "missiles"? [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] Is the other order ( "...and anti-aircraft missiles SAM-7" ) [STRIKE]will be[/STRIKE] just plain wrong? [STRIKE]( "...and anit-aircraft missiles SAM-7" )?[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Or, for ex.[/STRIKE] Another example is "The Pentium microprocessor was developed in..". Can I say "The microprocessor Pentium was developed ..."?

Please see my corrections to your post above. In the examples you gave, the original word order is correct. They are "SAM-7 missiles" and "a Pentium microprocessor".

Evgen First

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, so far I haven't been able to think of any combination of proper noun/acronym and common noun where the common noun comes first.

Apple laptop
Fiesta apples
Smith & Wesson revolver
AK-47 machine gun

Most of the proper noun + common noun combinations are of a brand name + item description.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's a missile. What type? It's anti anti-aircraft missile. Which make/model? It's a SAM-7 anti-aircraft missile.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Tdol, would you not write "an ​SAM-7 ..."?

Evgen First

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks) I am translating a text from Spanish to English. And my native tongue is Russian. So in Spanish word order it will be "missile anit-aircraft SAM-7", and in Russian - "anti-aircraft missile SAM-7". I am a bit disoriented)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Interesting. I have always chosen the form of indefinite article based solely on how it would be read out loud. I wouldn't say "a ess-ay-emm seven" aloud. I would say "an ess-ay-emm seven" and therefore would write "an".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I pronounce it as the name "Sam".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, well in that case, it would be "a". It didn't occur to me to read it as a word, rather than initials. Perhaps people who have heard of the anti-aircraft missile would know that's how it's said. Strangely enough, not my area of expertise!

Status
Not open for further replies.