Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
Can I replace "and" with "or" in this sentence? "This stream is regulated by the flux and reflux of the sea — it being constantly high and low water every six hours."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can't see why not.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't like the sentence. "It was alternately high and low every six hours." 'Constantly' doesn't make sense to me. Do you mean the highs and lows were always at the same levels? I'm not sure - is it right to call a sine wave constant?
Also, I'd omit the 'it' after the dash.

Last edited:

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
I don't like the sentence. "It was alternatively high and low every six hours." 'Constantly' doesn't make sense to me. Do you mean the highs and lows were always at the same levels? I'm not sure - is it right to call a sine wave constant?
Also, I'd omit the 'it' after the dash.
I do not like either. The sentence is not mine and is written by Mr. Poe. I comprehend it just like you: "It was alternately high and low every six hours."

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I didn't say I liked it; I just said I thought it was possible. Mr Poe wrote a long time ago. The sentence reads oddly today, but Idon't think the problem is and/or,which I think can be swapped.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
: "It was alternatively high and low every six hours."
Note, I meant alternately. I've changed it.
It's probably better to give the source in the original post if you know it. It can often make a difference to the correct answer.

Liara_Tsoni

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So as I understand this is a sentence from "Descent Into Maelstroem" by Edgar Alan Poe. You don't like the sound of it in original and at first wanted to switch and with or. However if you are planning to change anything in this quote then perhaps do as Raymott suggested and rephrase the whole things. Just be sure to add the source of original.

Status
Not open for further replies.