• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

99% of the people living in Turkey are Muslims, the majority of (them)whom are Sunnis

Hi,

- From the religious point of view, although there is no official religion, 99% of the people living in Turkey are Muslims, the majority of whom are Sunnis.

I have one sentence. I think it is OK to use 'whom' in that sentence; however, I would like to ask if I can relpace 'whom' with 'them'?

- From the religious point of view, although there is no official religion, 99% of the people living in Turkey are Muslims, the majority of them are Sunnis.

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: 99% of the people living in Turkey are Muslims, the majority of (them)whom are Su

If you use 'them' you have to begin a new sentence, with a semicolon or a full stop (period) after 'Muslims'.

These are correct:

'99% of the people living in Turkey are Muslims. The majority of them are Sunnis.'

'99% of the people living in Turkey are Muslims; the majority of them are Sunnis.'

'99% of the people living in Turkey are Muslims, the majority of them being Sunnis.'