• Native Language:
      • Slovak
      • Home Country:
      • Slovak Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Slovak Republic

Accent check...again

Hello,

just recorded myself again in hopes to get some feedback regarding my accent from you guys. I want to improve but honestly do not know where to start. I do not know what my major problem is....pronunciation, rhythm and intonation, my voice?

Any thoughts?

https://soundcloud.com/languageguy/test3-1

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Accent check...again

I understood about a quarter of what you said. The main problem for me is that you don't enunciate each word clearly enough. The words all run into each other and that, combined with your very strong accent, makes it almost incomprehensible in places.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Slovak
      • Home Country:
      • Slovak Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Slovak Republic

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I understood about a quarter of what you said. The main problem for me is that you don't enunciate each word clearly enough. The words all run into each other and that, combined with your very strong accent, makes it almost incomprehensible in places.
    Thank you for your input. At least now I know what I have to improve in order to speak better.

I also wanted to ask about the rhythm and intonation in my speech. How would you rate that? I am also concerned about the R sound which is quite different in my native language. Am I pronouncing the R's to soft, to strong or is it just right?

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I think you are speaking too quickly; if you slowed it down a bit, you would be easier to follow and then you could work on speeding it back up.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Slovak
      • Home Country:
      • Slovak Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Slovak Republic

Hey guys,

just made another recording (30 sec. long) in which I speak a bit slower and try to enunciate words more clearly. Would you mind telling me if you hear any improvement in my accent?

Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/languageguy/test-4

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

It's slower yet still rushed. I tried to record it myself on Soundcloud but the link won't work. However, I will say that it took me nearly 15 seconds to record just the first two sentences in order to enunciate them clearly, so cramming the whole lot into 30 seconds as you did is still too fast.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 03-Nov-2014 at 19:38.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Slovak
      • Home Country:
      • Slovak Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Slovak Republic

It's slower yet still rushed. I tried to record it myself on Soundcloud but the link won't work. However, I will say that it took me nearly 15 seconds to record just the first two sentences in order to enunciate them clearly, so cramming the whole lot into 30 seconds as you did is still too fast.
    Thanks again mate. I guess I have to start speaking even more slowly. Which isn't that easy for me, as I speak quite fast in my native language.

It would be wonderful if I could hear an audio of you speaking the same text, so I would be able to compare. Hope you will be able to get the link working....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

If I have time, I'll try again. I've recorded it on Soundcloud and saved it, and made it public but when I try to put the link here, it says the recording can't be found.

In the meantime, yes, try to speak more slowly. It might be difficult but it's important if you want to be understood. Very few people can speak as quickly in a second language as they do in their native language.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Slovak
      • Home Country:
      • Slovak Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Slovak Republic

If I have time, I'll try again. I've recorded it on Soundcloud and saved it, and made it public but when I try to put the link here, it says the recording can't be found.

In the meantime, yes, try to speak more slowly. It might be difficult but it's important if you want to be understood. Very few people can speak as quickly in a second language as they do in their native language.
    Hello emsr2d2,

I just made another short audio recording , this time speaking naturally, not reading a text from a book. If you will find the time, I would kindly ask you to listen to it and share your opinion.

https://soundcloud.com/languageguy/test-5

Thanks a million.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

I am not a teacher.

I think speaking naturally rather than reading a text makes your speech a lot easier to understand. The pace is better and I understood everything except for a couple of words that run into each other towards the end when you're asking for comments. Was it 'If you could just...' or 'You could just...', or 'Could just...'?

Some of the vowels are stressed too much 'audio' 'comments' but overall it is an improvement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast