Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
can you help me? teach me how to improve listening,when talk to others,I can't always understand the meaning oh each other,they nees say again...

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Can you help me? Teach me how to improve my listening when talking to others. I do not always understand what other people say and need them to repeat.

IMO, spoken English varies from one place to another. You may not be used to the local accents and slang. Listen carefully to how people speak on TV, movies, video, youtube, etc. Listening skills are closely related to speaking skills. You should practise both at the same time.

not a teacher

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can you help me? Can you teach me how to improve my listening skills? When I talk to other people, I can't always understand them [STRIKE]meaning[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]oh each other they nees say again...[/STRIKE] and I have to ask them to say it again.

Please see my corrections above. Be careful with your written English.

The answer is practise, practise, practise. Listen to English-speaking radio. Watch TV shows and films in English (use the subtitles only if you need to). Find a native English speaker and ask them if they'll help you with your English.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

Some people say that there are at least three keys to better comprehension of what you are listening to:

1. When you choose a motion picture or TV show, find something that really interests you.

2. Relax. Enjoy the experience.

3. Do not try to understand every single word. Get the "big picture." That is to say, the main ideas.

Slowly but surely, the day will come when you discover that you are understanding what is being said.

James

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I think TV shows are better than movies for listening practice. Usually TV shows are more formulaic and after a while we can get used to the characters' accents and speaking rhythms. In a lot of movies there is more silence than dialogue and when characters do speak it often takes time to get used to their speech patterns.

Also I think youtube is pretty good for listening. Recently I've been posting videos on my own channel and I now realise that if you click on the little notepad icon at the bottom of the screen, you can see subtitles in the language of the video, if the videomaker has transcribed the video correctly. Recently I've been watching some videos in French and the first time I watch them, I do so with the subtitles switched off. Then I watch them a second time with the French subtitles switched on and then sometimes also a third time with the settings changed to English subtitles so that I can clarify any words I don't understand. Of course this only works if the video is properly transcribed, but the ones I watch usually are. Although the translated subtitles are rarely accurate, it has to be said. If you are into phrasal verbs then you could try out this technique with my videos at www.youtube.com/user/77PhrasalVerbs.

When it comes to music for learning then I would probably recommend Bobby Darin and Nat King Cole. Nobody speaks as beautifully as they sing, but listening to them will ensure that your spirits remain high as you continue in your quest to learn English.

Status
Not open for further replies.