• Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

• Post Thanks / Like

ricocheting off

Hi,

I would like to know what does "ricocheting off different racial stereotypes and religious beliefs" mean here:

Chris Ofili makes paintings that will not let us be. For more than two decades, the work of this British artist has dazzled and discomfited, seduced and unsettled, gliding effortlessly between high and low, among cultures, ricocheting off different racial stereotypes and religious beliefs
    . His paintings mesmerize, whether with their opulent dotted surfaces or bawdy eroticism, their perfumed colors or their riffs on established masterpieces.
    Source:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/31/arts/design/chris-ofili-night-and-day-a-survey-at-the-new-museum.html?ref=arts&_r=0
    Thank you
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 04-Nov-2014 at 12:11. Reason: Enlarging font size.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: ricocheting off

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Ms. Garett:

For two days I have been googling and thinking about your intriguing question. I am now ready to share my interpretation.

(1) If my reading is absolutely wrong, a moderator will delete it.
    (2) If another member posts a better reading, I will delete mine.

(3) I assume that you have already checked the definition of "ricochet."

a. I like this one: "To hit something and bounce away at an angle."
    b. "The bullet ricocheted off the wall."

Source: Kemerman English Multilingual Dictionary

(4) I have decided (perhaps wrongly, of course) that the grammatical subject of the participle "ricocheting" is the word "work." Thus, I feel that the sense is something like: "This British artist's work ricochets off different racial stereotypes and religious beliefs."

(5) I then found a quotation in the "books" section of Google that emboldened me to post today: "The ball hit the rocks ... and ricocheted off in odd and unpredictable ways." [All my emphasis] (Source: Bill York, Lexicon of My Life)

a. In my opinion, that sentence could also be written as: "The ball richocheted off the rocks in odd and unpredictable ways."

(6) It is my opinion, then, that the writer of your quotation meant to write something like this:

"The work of this British artist ricochets off different racial stereotypes and religious beliefs in odd and unpredictable ways."

(7) I read the whole article. Since this grammar helpline is a family-friendly website, I cannot mention the "odd and unpredictable ways" in which Mr. Ofili's paintings deal with racial stereotypes and religious beliefs.

a. Since you have presumably read the whole article, then you know what I am referring to.

(Anyone who wants to read the article: Go to Google and type: Chris Ofili Night and Day A Survey New York Times.)

James
    Last edited by TheParser; 06-Nov-2014 at 16:06. Reason: punctuation