Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. NortT's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jul 2014
    • Posts: 76
    #1

    I didn't know you liked something.

    Hello again,
    A man in a movie was watching a dog show. Another man said: "I didn't know you liked dogs". My question is why does he use the past tense with a verb "liked" instead of the present tense?
    Is the next sentence is correct?
    For example, I meet somebody at a party and say him/her: I did not know that you were (or are) here.
    Please, show me every single one of my mistakes. Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,912
    #2

    Re: I didn't know you liked something.

    You could also say like if you think they still like it. With your second sentence, use would be/were going to be here.

  2. Jill Dorchester's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2014
    • Posts: 223
    #3

    Re: I didn't know you liked something.

    "I didn't know you liked dogs."

    The speaker has just this moment learned that his friend likes dogs. That's why know is in the present tense.
    The friend's love of canines has been ongoing for some time; it dates back many years. That's why liked is in the past tense.


  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: I didn't know you liked something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    You could also say like if you think they still like it. With your second sentence, use would be/were going to be here.
    Depends on context doesn't it?

    I'm in my flat and my friend arrives, but someone else buzzes him through the front door. He arrives at my flat on the fourth floor and rings the doorbell.
    'I didn't know you were here.'

    b
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 04-Nov-2014 at 21:15. Reason: minor typo

  4. NortT's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jul 2014
    • Posts: 76
    #5

    Re: I didn't know you liked something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jill Dorchester View Post
    "I didn't know you liked dogs."

    The speaker has just this moment learned that his friend likes dogs. That's why know is in the present tense.
    The friend's love of canines has been ongoing for some time; it dates back many years. That's why liked is in the past tense.

    Hi Jill, why did you say that "know" is in the present in "I didn't know"? I think it is in the past because of 'didn't'. It is just a negative sentence in the past tense, is not it?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Depends on context doesn't it?

    I'm in my flat and my friend arrives, but someone else buzzes him through the front door. He arrives at my flat on the fourth floor and rings the doorbell.
    'I didn't know you were here.'

    b
    Hi, Bob. I think I got it, but maybe do you have any rule?
    Last edited by NortT; 06-Nov-2014 at 02:10.
    Please, show me every single one of my mistakes. Thank you.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Feb-2013, 02:21
  2. didn't used to and didn't used to have been
    By ostap77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23-Aug-2012, 13:23
  3. [Grammar] Needn't have done/Didn't have to/Didn't need to.
    By symaa in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 23-Jun-2011, 18:28
  4. almost didn't, nearly didn't
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2007, 03:32
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-Nov-2007, 22:26

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •