Student or Learner
I don't know if this question fits in to this forum or not but I don't know who else to ask, so I'm just posting here. I want to move to next level in English and I need some help.
My current level: I feel that I'm at intermediate level because I can understand English movies, TV series, TED talks, Debates of native English speakers with ease. I learnt it in past 8 years by doing these:
- I've watched around 5000 English language movies (American & British)
- I've watched around 20 TV series (Friends & Yes Minister are my favorite)
- I've read lots of books (mostly technical) and regularly read blogs (science & technical), English newspaper articles etc.
- I can't write an article like they write in newspapers. The language that I use is very basic. There is lot of difference between words that I can understand in other's article but when I start writing, those words don't come to me.
- I can't speak fluently. Most of my speaking goes into pausing, making sounds like 'aaaah', 'uummm' etc. I want to speak not stop. Most of the time I search for words to express what I want to say.
- While speaking, I tend to explain a lot to express what I want to say. I mean, I just can't finish it in a sentence or two. It usually annoys impatient people.
In an year or two, I'm going to become a bureaucrat (civil servant). In the meanwhile, I want to write and get my articles published in Newspapers. I want to participate in TV News channel debates. I've enough knowledge in my fields of interest but I can't speak as good as those debaters.
How can I achieve what I want? What steps do I need to undertake? Is there a course which would help me? If this forum is not appropriate, is there a forum or group which I could join so that I can to talk to native speakers (via skype or Google hangout)? I don't have any one to converse with me here, so I need to depend on some forum online. Any question that I should be asking but I'm not asking?