• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Accent check

Dear teachers

I've just attached my recording. I'd like to seek your feedback on my accent. Could you please advise where should I start if I want to improve: pronunciation, rhythm or intonation?

Regards

Holden
    Attached Files Attached Files

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Malta

Re: Accent check

Hi Holden!

I had a listen and must say, you have a nice accent. I was able to understand everything which you said. You could however, start to practice your diction. You have a tendency (like a lot of people!) to rush words out. Take the time to finish saying the words properly before going on to the next one. The end of a word is just as important as the start of it!

Some of your words slurred together, and while I was able to understand them, others may not. Practice speaking very slowly, pronunciating each vowel and consonant strongly. Do this so that it almost feels unnatural to be talking that slowly, with a gap in between the words and with a lot of emphasis on the sounds of the words.

If I could pick out one instance in your clip where your words slurred together, it would be 'very very often they will say that they have dry skin...', listen back to this line and then repeat it back to yourself, this time taking the time to pronounce each word separately from the others.

My main point would be take time and don't rush.

I hope this helps!
    TMF

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Dear TMF

Thanks for your feedback. I'm now practicing again to articulate the end of each word. I've a side-lined question. When I watch Sherlock (BBC), I found that Benedict Cumberbatch speaks really fast (below is a link to the clips of Sherlock). I'm wondering if Benedict does "articulate the end of each word" or, as a native speaker, is it easy for your to pick up every word coming out from his mouth?

http://youtu.be/_OmdF290gOg

Regards

Holden

Quote Originally Posted by The Maltese Falcon View Post
    Hi Holden!

I had a listen and must say, you have a nice accent. I was able to understand everything which you said. You could however, start to practice your diction. You have a tendency (like a lot of people!) to rush words out. Take the time to finish saying the words properly before going on to the next one. The end of a word is just as important as the start of it!

Some of your words slurred together, and while I was able to understand them, others may not. Practice speaking very slowly, pronunciating each vowel and consonant strongly. Do this so that it almost feels unnatural to be talking that slowly, with a gap in between the words and with a lot of emphasis on the sounds of the words.

If I could pick out one instance in your clip where your words slurred together, it would be 'very very often they will say that they have dry skin...', listen back to this line and then repeat it back to yourself, this time taking the time to pronounce each word separately from the others.

My main point would be take time and don't rush.

I hope this helps!
    TMF

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

As a native speaker it is easier to pick up every word that Benedict Cumberbatch says, your accent is very good but there are some places where the intonation is not quite right.

When a nonnative speaker speaks quickly as the accent is not quite right we are constantly trying to understand what is said, so speaking a little slower than a native speaker is probably better.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

Quote Originally Posted by holdenenglish View Post
    I'm wondering if Benedict does "articulate the end of each word" or, as a native speaker, is it easy for your to pick up every word coming out from his mouth?
    I am not a teacher.

It is very easy for a native speaker to understand everything he says.