• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Ask for help

Please can somebody explain me the meaning of the english sentences written down below? The phrases I am not sure I understand properly I have put in italics.

For all I ever knew to the contrary, it was his own name; and something about him, name or man or both, always put me in mind, I can't tell you how, of negroes.“

(Rooum by Oliver Onions)

„Five days later she was towed out through the Golden Gates,and cast loose off the Heads, and so set sail upon the voyage that was to come so near to being her last.“

(Through The Vortex Of A Cyclone by W.H.Hodgson)

Those who have been to Todd remember it as a quiet, secretive watering-place, couched watchfully in a fold of a long range of lowhills along the Norfolk coast. It has been pronounced "restful" by those in high authority, for time there has a way of passing dreamily as if the days, too, were being blown past likethe lazy clouds on the wings of wandering breezes.

(The Bad Lands by John Metcalfe)

What I would like to know next is the difference in a certain mode of sentence. Sometimes present continuous is used, other times present simple.

I saw her walking in the streets.
    We watched him entering the shop.

The –ing is there but sometimes the second verb can do without it:

You saw it happen.
    I feel her body shake.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Johnyxxx; 08-Nov-2014 at 15:20.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ask for help

Please post a separate thread for each sentence.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.