1. B45

My friend's telling me about his business. I ask: How did you get into this/that bu

My friend's telling me about his business. I ask:

How did you get into this/that business?

Are both okay here?

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: My friend's telling me about his business. I ask: How did you get into this/tha

Yes.

3. B45

Re: My friend's telling me about his business. I ask: How did you get into this/tha

Why are both okay? Shouldn't it be this or that? What would a native speaker use?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

We would use both (not at the same time, of course). Why do you keep querying native speakers' answers?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5. B45

Because I need it for my work and also I'm now living in the US, so it's important for me to catch on to the lingo and culture.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I didn't ask why you come on the forum searching for native speakers' versions of things. I asked why, when you have already had a response from a native speaker which has, in some cases, been "liked" by several other native speakers, you still ask for further confirmation and clarification.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

7. B45

Because it seems like every native speaker has their own opinion on things.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

And when we have a different opinion than the one quoted in the first response, we write a new post to explain it. If we simply "Like" another native speaker's response, it usually means we agree with it and we have nothing to add.