• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

enterprises

In what way shall a good inventor of hypotheses be guided to his invention? Shall he confine himself only to the hypotheses which, when first he proposes them, seem antecedently probable? If he does this, he condemns himself to relative infertility. For the antecedently probable hypothesis is precisely the hypothesis which lacks any very notablefamiliarity<novelty>. Even if such a hypothesis bears the test of experience, it therefore adds little to knowledge. Worthless for the purposes of any more exact natural science until it has been duly verified, the hypothesis which is to win, in the advancement of science, a really great place, must often be, at the moment of its first invention, an apparently unlikely hypothesis. It must often be a poetical creation, warranted as yet by none of the facts thus far known and subject to all the risks which attend great human enterprises in any field. In such a position was Darwin’s hypothesis regarding the origin of species through natural selection, when first he began to seek for its verification.

7-3) What do you think this "enterprises" mean? "companies" or "tasks"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: enterprises

It doesn't mean "companies", and it encompasses more than just "tasks". I would suggest that it includes such things as inventions, projects and campaigns.
    Incidentally, I feel that the author of this extract has a very strange way of writing: sacrificing clarity for style in his/her convoluted sentences.
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: enterprises

Here it means attempts/endeavours to do something special - yes, closer to tasks than companies.