Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
What does it mean “To balance somebody off”?

Like in, e.g., if you have a great idea, you need someone to balance you off.

Can it mean “To help with implementing this idea into practice in order to do it right, or maybe to have a second opinion”?

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Depends upon the full context. Most likely they mean a second opinion, or at least someone to point out the pros and cons of your great idea. Someone to keep you from going off half-cocked in case your idea has a downside that you haven't considered (in case your great idea is something like "Now that I have small children, I think it's a good idea to keep a loaded gun in the house for protection.") ;-)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What does [STRIKE]it mean[/STRIKE] “To balance somebody off” mean?
I've never heard the phrase. I'm not sure I'd like to be balanced off. :shock: Then again, I wouldn't want to go off half-cocked either.

Auldlangsyne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Pointing out the pros and cons of that idea, supported by the example, sounds about right to me, and makes the meaning more clear – fits the contexts well. (Overheard in an AmE conversation.) That would mean to try to prevent someone being overexcited with a new proposal/plan from being implemented too hasty.

Never heard of it either.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've never heard it either. I would assume that it meant you need someone to temper your no doubt overwhelming enthusiasm for your great new idea - someone to look at the practicalities of it, someone a bit more rational! I find the use of "off" at the end a little odd. I would be perfectly happy with "... you need someone to balance you".

Auldlangsyne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
I heard it again, and it was very clear this time that the intention of the person saying it (wanting to that other person to balance off) was – to support him when he felt down. The aim was to lend a helping hand the need be, cheer him up during tough times.

I don’t know it this explanation make any sense to native speakers of the English language, AmE to be exact, but that was exactly what it meant, and I am so sure about that because it was elaborated this time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That meaning doesn't make much sense to me.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It sounds like if you have a great idea, you need someone around with bad ideas, so that, on average, you have average ideas.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That sounds like where I work!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I heard it again, and it was very clear this time that the intention of the person saying it (wanting [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] that other person to balance him off) was – to support him when he felt down. The aim was to lend a helping hand if need be, to cheer him up during tough times.

I don’t know if this explanation makes any sense to native speakers of the English language, AmE to be exact, but that was exactly what it meant, and I am so sure about that because it was explained this time.

:)

Auldlangsyne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Auldlangsyne I heard it again, and it was very clear this time that the intention of the person saying it (wanting to that other person to balance him off) was – to support him when he felt down. The aim was to lend a helping hand if need be, to cheer him up during tough times.

I don’t know if this explanation makes any sense to native speakers of the English language, AmE to be exact, but that was exactly what it meant, and I am so sure about that because it was explained this time.

I am still pondering on the above issue.

Could it be that someone was actually saying “of” and not “off”? Would that make any difference? I do not know. Could it be that someone made this phrase up? We sometimes create new funny/silly expressions during a casual conversation to give a more vivid account of an event. I may well waste my time if that was pure nonsense. Whatever the intention was, I think it had something to do with a meaningful support.

The only one error I spotted myself (and have not edited) was “it” instead of “if”.

I was pretty sure that “the need be” was perfectly fine. But since one, for obvious reasons ;-), should never question your corrections, I will be using “if need be” from now on.

Thanks for balancing me off.
:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.