1. vaibhavmaskar

in ward ideas of mind itself

We attain knowledge when the "inward ideas of the mind itself" and structures it creates conform to the nature of things.

1) In above para what is the meaning of " inward ideas if the mind itself "?

2) Is it right Separation "the structures it creates" and "conform to the nature of things? "creates" and "conform" are two separat verb of the sentence?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: in ward ideas of mind itself

I cannot really understand the sentence in question without additional context. Where did you find it?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: in ward ideas of mind itself

Like a lot of such stuff it's badly expressed. The writer knows his/her stuff, but just throws words at it and leaves the reader to sort it out. My interpretation for what it's worth:

"inward ideas of the mind itself": ideas of the way the mind works, formed by introspection (that is, using the mind itself)
    (BK the 'inward' is vacuous. How else, except by using the mind, can we have ideas about anything? So ideas formed about the mind by the mind are necessarily 'inward'. But the fact that the writer has used quotation marks suggests that this is an old expression, taken from the early years of psychological investigation - perhaps used by some recognised 'father' of the subject. [I thought long and hard about 'father'. I decided that mothers wouldn't waste their time navel-gazing like that.])

The verb 'conform has two subjects:
    • those ideas
    • "the structures it [the mind] creates"

(BK This interpretation suggests that the writer doesn't know what 'conform' means, which seems to me quite possible.)

b

PS It's just occurred to me that it could well be a translation - which might explain the oddness of 'conform'. I think the original (translated) writer may have meant 'amount to' or contribute to' or 'add up to' or something like that.
    Last edited by BobK; 12-Nov-2014 at 23:01. Reason: Clarified 'vacuous' bit; added PS