Interested in Language
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
Hello all,

English subtitle excerpt from the movie 'A night in old Mexico' (2013)

Scene: Grandson and Grandfather in the front-seat of a car with two hitchhikers in the back-seat.
The grandson is showing off about his bull-riding skills.
The grandfather is embarrassed and takes a sideswipe at him.

Grandson - I tell you this.

Grandson - Yeah, he was a mean one... (the bull)
Grandson - Oh yes sir. You put hair and horn on a stick of dynamite, you get the idea.
Grandfather - Christ sakes. (mumbling)
Passenger- You rode him now, huh?
Grandfather - Yeah, a buckaroo like him, had a rod and pick in his nose in one hand
Grandfather - and scratches his little red hiney with the other.
What I understood of the last sentence is that riding a mad bull is no problem for a cowboy as good as his grandson, he even is able to do other things while riding it.

But, for Christ sakes, what does “had a rod and pick in his nose in one hand” mean ?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But, for Christ sakes, what does “had a rod and pick in his nose in one hand” mean ?

It seems that it would be very uncomfortable.

;-)

Mahi93

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
It seems that it would be very uncomfortable.

;-)

Now you're making me even more curious :lol:

I can deduct it will be something not nice to say, but the construction of the sentence seems so odd to me.
How can one have 'a pick in his nose' in his hand?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First of all, there is no reason to use phrases like "for Christ's sake" with us. It's offensive to some, including me.

I expect it's a mis-transcription. I expect the grandfather was saying he was picking his nose with one hand and scratching his butt with the other. I have no idea what "the rod" is supposed to be unless he is suggesting that he was also (pardon the crudeness) masturbating.

Mahi93

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
First of all, there is no reason to use phrases like "for Christ's sake" with us. It's offensive to some, including me.

So sorry, I definitely had no intension to offend someone.
I just wanted to emphasize that I, with the best will in the world, couldn't make any sense of what was written.
Please consider that something may sound wrong in native ears without us even having the slightest idea that we could have said something offensive.

I expect it's a mis-transcription. I expect the grandfather was saying he was picking his nose with one hand and scratching his butt with the other. I have no idea what "the rod" is supposed to be unless he is suggesting that he was also (pardon the crudeness) masturbating.

Thank you, this makes sense.
Now I can continue the translation of the subtitling into Flemish for my wife.
I'll soften the expressions a bit for her ears too :)

EDIT:
I want to apologize again for using the expression.
I consulted my dictionary and you are so right, it is considered ‘rude’

for Christ's sake (rude) also for Christ sakes

In Flemish we have the same expression (In Godsnaam) which is frequently used to emphasize something, nothing rude about it in our ears.
But I promise never to use it again in English:)

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it's a bad translation of something like: He could ride picking his nose with one hand and scratching his hiney with the other.

In the southwestern U.S., some people pronounce ride differently than other English-speakers, and it might sound like rod or rad to a non-native speaker. They sometimes also add the uh sound in front of ing verbs that start with consonants. We spell that this way: a-. Many Americans also drop the g in ing. We spell that in'.

So a-ridin' might have sounded like a rod and to the translator.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
PS - As you probably know, there are many, many English-language accents. Sometimes we can't even understand each other!

Here's the American comedian Robin Williams talking about his trip to Scotland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i4ib77GaV0

He could not understand what his Scottish guide was saying. It was like hearing a foreign language. The joke is that while his Scottish accent is excellent, he's not saying any real words - just nonsense.

Mahi93

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
Hello Charlie,

Does that make sense?

Yes Charlie it does, thank you.

I normally can follow the English dialogs in a movie but when the accent, urban sayings or slang become too overwhelming I need the English subtitling for the hearing impaired.
Also when people are mumbling or rattling I often have difficulties understanding.

(Jimmy, on the other hand, him I begin to understand better and better, thanks to you.):-D

Mahi93

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
PS - As you probably know, there are many, many English-language accents. Sometimes we can't even understand each other!

As do we!

I think it is even worse here. Accents and words differ from town to town, sometimes even from street to street.
A lot of elderly people only speak their particular dialect. When these people are interviewed on TV the program is subtitled.

We, at home we speak official Dutch with the kids and Flemish-Dutch or a kind of polished dialect when they’re not around.

Here, in the Flemish-speaking part of Belgium, when you want to go white collar you need to master the official Dutch language and you got to have a good working knowledge of French, English and German.

Here's the American comedian Robin Williams talking about his trip to Scotland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i4ib77GaV0

Hilarious! Thanks for the link.

I’ve seen a lot of his movies but I’d never seen him as a stand-up comedian. Great performer!

I googled a bit more about the subject and came to the conclusion that I’ve still a lot of watching to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.