• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Hold tenable?

I have this sentence in my essay.

"Though at the level of lived experience Marx’s “annihilation of space by time” may seemingly hold tenable - that is.."

Just wondering if "hold tenable" is redundant. I had "hold true" before, but that seemed too sure for what I was trying to convey. Just wondering if I'm using that correctly with the word "hold" before it since etymologically the word tenable includes "tenir - to hold" in french.

Thanks!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Hold tenable?

I don't think it is necessarily redundant, but it is original. (That is not always a good thing.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Thanks! So in this case its not a good thing are you saying? I take no offense if it is. Just looking to learn.

My full sentence is this, I'm not sure about the structure either...inputs welcome

"Though at the level of lived experience Marx’s “annihilation of space by time” may seemingly hold tenable - that is spatial barriers and distances are overcome by the increased speed of exchanges - once one enters below the threshold of human perception this maxim seems to flip and the drive to the "annihilation of time by space" gains prominence."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I am sorry to tell you that I have absolutely NO idea what you are trying to say.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

No need to be sorry. I have no idea what second conditionals are so that goes to show what I know, just a student here. That sentence is my thesis for this paper.

I think context might help, I kind of led up to that sentence. I'm writing about black box trading. So Marx says space is compressing, distance can be overcome because of the speed of exchange, like I can do business with someone from the other side of the world because of internet for example and since it seems instantaneous, geography/space doesn't matter or is overcome.

but in the world of black box trading where they're functioning at microseconds(one millionth of a second), beyond our perception (a human blinking take 100 milliseconds), space doesn't "annihilate", it actually becomes a huge factor in trying to reduce latency (the time between when you buy an order and when its executed). Since they're limited to the speed of light which takes one millisecond for information to travel 186 miles, they design space to minimize latency or time as much as possible. like laying the most direct shortest fiber cables, using lasers or microwave millimeter waves towers that require "line of sight" placement because of the curvature of the earth, etc...so space doesn't become smaller but is used and manipulated to reduce time to zero (that's beyond our perception).

I don't know if that makes my original sentence make any more sense than it did before, but if you have any suggestions to make it clearer I'm open.
    Last edited by dianesis; 15-Nov-2014 at 00:53.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Okay. I actually heard an article about that recently.

"Though at the level of lived experience Marx’s “annihilation of space by time” may seemingly hold tenable - that is spatial barriers and distances are overcome by the increased speed of exchanges - once one enters below the threshold of human perception this maxim seems to flip and the drive to the "annihilation of time by space" gains prominence."

Up to a certain point, Marx's maxim "annihilation of space by time" works: we can overcome distance by increasing the speed of our exchanges. However, at very fast speeds - those beyond the threshold of human perception - the maxim flips, and distance matters again. That is, there is a drive to annihilate the time it takes for our exchanges by decreasing the space they need to cover.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

It would have been better had you provided the context at the beginning. (Not that that would have helped much. )

(Remember that French is capitalized, as is English.)