[Essay] Could someone proofread this for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

engslayer

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Colombia
Current Location
United States
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]My dad is American, but I was raised in Colombia for all my life and just now I've been in the U.S for a couple of months now. I can't get the hang of English. I am well at speak, but I am no good at writeing. So he asked I to do an essay for English practice. Easy, but he gets into me skin because of small mistakes. So here is the essay. (Sorry if I have bad spelling or grammer :lol:)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] I[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]. Many people have misconceptions of what healthy eating really is. Those people also might not recognize the advantages that a healthy diet offers. There are plenty of health and financial benefits. Yet, how do so many people still eat foods that are unhealthy? Why have heart disease and obesity become such pandemics that impact the lives of adults, and children. Though it has been confirmed that healthy eating has many advantages and benefits, people still deny themselves a healthier life. However, it is quite a struggle to have a healthy, balanced diet these days. There are easily one-million fast food restaurants owned by a thousand different fast food chains. Healthy habits may cost you more, but it is less than treatment for illnesses like cancer, or diabetes. Eating healthy can not only expand your lifespan, but it might save you some [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]money.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] After all, the bigger the snack, the bigger the slack. "[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]So get smart, and eat smart"![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]big plus of healthy eating are the medical expenses. A study revealed that healthy eating habits cost $550 more than unhealthy foods yearly (1). That might be a big financial burden for some people. The study also concluded that healthy food habits cost $1.50 more daily. The study showed that healthy servings cost $0.29 more, and snacks or sweets cost $0.12 more. $550 dollars for a healthy diet doesn't sound worth it. However, with all the medical bills for chronic heart disorders, diabetes, or cancer. It now sounds as if $550, is suddenly $100. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Many of the common foods we have today, contain a surprisingly high amount of processed meat in them. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]A study showed that people who eat a significant amount of processed meat, have a 20%-50% increased chance of terminal illnesses like pancreatic and colon cancer, or cardiovascular problems (2). An English breakfast is a perfect example. Only a single English breakfast has approximately 130 grams of processed meat. However the recommended study amount is only 20 grams a day! That's around 6 times more than the suggested amount! [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]P[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]eople will not start a diet because they might be confused towards what it consists of. When someone says diet, one might imagine kale, lettuce, fruit, overall a vegetarian food routine. Although, that is the most recommended type of diet. Sometimes, a healthy diet is just another word for a balanced nutrition. A balanced nutrition is meat, rice, salads, and grains, it's as simple as that. This confusion is what gets people most of the time. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]People can have very positive effects when it comes to eating healthy. There are hundreds of benefits why people should eat healthier. A very common one is how certain healthy foods may help reduce anxiety. Unfortunately, stress disorders affects more than 18% of America's population, that's a little over 40 million people. Specific foods may have the ability to control how frequently our body produces cortisol, more commonly known as, the stress hormone. Studies have found that some foods packed with omega three acids (3) , vitamin c (4) , and magnesium (5) reduce the levels of stress hormone in our bodies. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Healthy eating not only affects anxiety reduction, but financial increasement as well in some ways. Healthy eating may be a bit more expensive overall, but on some sides of the story, it might be a whole lot cheaper. A study shows that an average Ame[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]rican spends an estimate of $800+ on soft drinks alone (6). The study also showed that people spend another grand just on beer. In 2010, over $101 billion dollars were spent on beer across the nation. Both of these could be substituted with healthy, just as refreshing, water.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Why throw good money to bad money by spending it on plastic surgery, when the superior alternative is just so much more cheaper and simpler. Foods like berries or tomatoes, are packed with certain chemicals help keep skin young and beautiful. They contain several chemicals known to help aging like vitamins c/e, flavonoids, and even polyphenols, which is a known chemical in anti-depressants. These foods' importance is not just for pretty looks. They both help in regenerating new skin cells.Along with other foods and drinks like green tea, or fish.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Healthy eating is known t[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]o help you dodge common diseases, which might actually expand the length of your life. A recent study showed that a healthy diet consisting of vegetables and fruit, expanded the lifespan of women in their mid-70s (7). Another study shows that diets with low meat in them may also expand the life of people (8). Yet another study shows that people who eat nuts like almonds and walnuts, are also prone to a long-lasting life (9). No matter what angle someone looks at it, a healthy diet is essential when wanting to maintain a healthy lifestyle. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]A study in 2008 asked cancer patients for their current medical bills. One of those patients said he had to dig up over 400 thousand dollars for his stomach cancer treatment. Another said that she had 30 thousand dollars of medical debt because of breast cancer. Suddenly, $550 for healthy food doesn't sound too bad anymore. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It has been proven that diets are held accountable for %30-%40 of cancers (10). Getting cancer may be inevitable, but it has been proven that certain foods have the ability to boost the body's immune system, thus preventing illnesses which one would normally be more susceptible to.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]To conclude, a healthy diet is great in every aspect, no matter how one might look at it. Not only does it lead to a healthier life. But it satiates both the bodies needs for a healthy nutrient supplement, and one self's personal desire to be physically fit. It may take some time getting used to smoked salmon on behalf of a BigMac. However, as time goes by, one might be used to the change and might actually end up prefering the healthier, and upper quality choice. After all, one might obtain satisfaction from physical appearence. But on the contrary, a healthy diet is more of acquiring habits, which will lead to a better life, and a healthier mind.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I only have time to get started.

My dad is American, but I was raised in Colombia, and I've been in the U.S. for only a couple of months.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't get the hang of English. I do well at speaking it, but I am no good at writing it. So he asked me to do an essay for English practice. Easy for him, but he gets under my skin because of small mistakes. So here is the essay. (Sorry if I have bad spelling or grammer :lol:)

:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My dad is American, but I was raised in Colombia for all my life and just now I've been in the U.S for a couple of months now. I can't get the hang of English. I am well at speak, but I am no good at writeing. So he asked I to do an essay for English practice. Easy, but he gets into me skin because of small mistakes. So here is the essay. (Sorry if I have bad spelling or grammer :lol:)

I. Many people have misconceptions of what healthy eating really is. Those people also might not recognize the advantages that a healthy diet offers. There are plenty of health and financial benefits. Yet, how do so many people still eat food that is unhealthy? Why have heart disease and obesity become such pandemics that impact the lives of adults and children? Though it has been confirmed that healthy eating has many advantages and benefits, people still deny themselves a healthier life. However, it is quite a struggle to have a healthy, balanced diet these days. There are easily one-million fast food restaurants owned by a thousand different fast food chains. Healthy habits may cost you more, but what you will spend on a healthy diet is less than you would spend on treatment for illnesses like cancer or diabetes. Eating healthy can not only expand your lifespan, but it might save you some money. After all, the bigger the snack, the bigger the slack. "So get smart, and eat smart"!

A big plus of healthy eating is the savings on medical expenses. A study revealed that healthy eating habits cost $550 more than unhealthy foods yearly (1). (More than what?) That might be a big financial burden for some people. The study also concluded that healthy food habits cost $1.50 more daily. (Again, more than what?) The study showed that healthy servings cost $0.29 more, and snacks or sweets cost $0.12 more. $550 dollars for a healthy diet doesn't sound worth it. However, with all the medical bills for chronic heart disorders, diabetes, or cancer. (That is not a sentence.) It now sounds as if $550 is suddenly $100.

Edited last sentence.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Many of our favorite foods contain a surprisingly high amount of processed meat in them. A study showed that people who eat a significant amount of processed meat have a 20%-50% increased chance of terminal illnesses like pancreatic and colon cancer or cardiovascular problems. (2). An English breakfast is a perfect example. Only a single English breakfast has approximately 130 grams of processed meat. However the recommended study amount is only 20 grams a day! That's around 6 times more than the suggested amount!

Be more specific about what an English breakfast is. Also, please explain what you mean by study amount.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A "full English" breakfast (or fry-up) consists of:

Sausages
Bacon
Black pudding
Fried egg
Toast or fried bread

More recent additions are:

Grilled tomatoes
Fried mushrooms
Baked beans

They look like this.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One more thing. (Okay. Maybe more than one.) Delete "Only a" in the sentence "Only a single English breakfast...."

(I clicked on the link emsr2d2 provided, and now I am really hungry. ;-))

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
People might not start a diet because they might be confused about what it should consist of. When someone says diet, one might imagine kale, lettuce, fruit -- overall a vegetarian food routine. (That is the most recommended type of diet.) Sometimes a healthy diet is just another word for balanced nutrition. A balanced diet is meat, rice, salads, and grains. It's as simple as that.

Well, I like spaghetti.

:-D

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Healthy eating can have very positive effects. There are hundreds of reasons why people should eat healthier. A very common one is how certain healthy foods may help reduce anxiety. Unfortunately, stress disorders affect more than 18% of America's population. That's a little over 40 million people. Specific foods may have the ability to control how frequently our body produces cortisol, more commonly known as the stress hormone. Studies have found that some foods packed with omega three acids (3) , vitamin c (4) , and magnesium (5) reduce the levels of stress hormone in our bodies.

OK

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Healthy eating not only produces anxiety reduction, but it can save you money. A study shows that the average American spends an estimated $800 a year on soft drinks.

Later!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The study also showed that people spend another $1000 a year just on beer. In 2010, over $101 billion dollars were spent on beer across the nation. Instead, people could be drinking water, which is better for you.

Really?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why throw good money after bad by spending it on plastic surgery, when a superior alternative is just so much cheaper and simpler. Foods like berries or tomatoes are packed with certain chemicals that keep skin young-looking and wrinkle-free. They contain several chemicals known to slow the aging process -- like vitamins C & E , flavonoids, and even polyphenols (a known chemical in anti-depressants). They help in regenerating new skin cells. (Along with other foods and drinks like green tea, or fish.)

Where are my likes?

Status
Not open for further replies.