In the Anglo- Saxon culture and literature to be a hero was to be a warrior. A hero had to have strength, confidence, intelligence and fearlessness. Warriors or hero’s had to come up against any odds and fight to the death for their triumph and their people. Although most Anglo-Saxon heroes were also egotistic however it did not hinder their ability to be a successful hero, it actually gives the hero more confidence in their battles.

As a 21st Century a hero was not for much of strength and fighting. But more for doing something right for a person in need.Someone who can make a difference in a persons life when you have an opportunity weather the situation was big or small.Furthermore, to be a 21st century hero you would have the characteristics to helpful, brave, understanding and caring.

Heroism is very important in Beowulf. Beowulf is a fierce and accomplished warrior and feels indebted and responsible for defending his people and he does so with absolute determination and with bravery. Beowulf possesses all of the traits of a "perfect" hero, in many ways, because he is brave, strong, wise, and skillful. He also has great instincts and is intelligent. Moreover, he is not without fault ! Although throughout the story Beowulf demonstrates the heroic act of confidence in numerous battles. For example, Beowulf states (Lines 167-169) “ Too, that the monster’s scorn of men, Is so great that he needs no weapons and fears none, Nor will I”. Even after the horrendous stories of the undefeated monster Grendel he has no doubt in his self confidence. Moreover, Beowulf demonstrated a heroic amount of strength. His determination , or his will to win was through his strength even up to his death. For example , in the text they say ; referring to Grendel (Line 481-484) " but their points could not hurt him, the sharpest and the hardest iron could not scratch at his skin, for that sin-stained demon had bewitched all men's weapons". However, Beowulf had Grendel (Line 496-499) " twisted in pain, and the bleeding sinews deep in his shoulder ..snapped, muscle and bone split and broke". Summarizing, our writer was indicating the strength of Beowulf bare hands was stronger then any weapon and strong enough to defeat the monster Grendel and his confidence makes him a hero in the Anglo-Saxon period.

Being a hero in the 21st century is selflessly doing the best you can in a time of need. Just as Mark Bezos mirrored a 21st century hero in the article A Life Lesson From A Volunteer Firefighter. Mark Bezos showed heroism by being helpful and being understanding . In the text he says " When I found the captain , he was having a very engaged conversation with the homeowner, who was surely having one of the worst days of her life. Here it was, the middle off the night, she was standing outside in the pouring rain, under an umbrella, in her pajamas, barefoot, while her house was in flames" (Par 2 , Bezos). Moreover, "The captain waved me over . He said, Bezos, I need you to go into the house. I need you to go upstairs, past the fire, and I need you to to get this women a pair of shoes" (Par 3, Bezos). This is significant as a 21st hero because even though it was not much he still had the opportunity of making that women's day better which was affective toward her. Additional, to that as a 21 century hero he was understanding. For example, Bezos states " The other volunteer who had arrived just before me -- let's call him Lex Luther -- got to the captain first and was asked to go inside and save the homeowners dog" (Par 3, Bezos). He was not upset that first fire man was able to get something more important because he reflects "Not everyday is going to offer us a chance to save somebody's life, but every day offers us an opportunity to affect one. So get in the game. Save the shoes" (Par 6, Bezos). Boiling down, Mark Bezos was a 21st century hero by affecting a person life by being understanding and helpful.

Nevertheless, Mark Besoz was not the only 21st century hero but so was the "Vicar of Baghdad" also known as reverend Cannon Andrew White in the article Why "Vicar of Baghdad" is a 21st Century hero by Lela Gilbert. White is a reverend helping the people in Iraq in the time of war. In this article he shows heroism by being helpful or sympathetic. For example, in the text it reveals "Today, he divides his time in several ways. He tends to the needs of the people in his war-torn parish, distributing food and medical care to both Christians and Muslims" (Par 5, Gilbert). More along, " providing food and clothing for the neighborhood and maintains a clinic offering and dental help"(Par 12, Gilbert). White is showing a trait of heroism by helping people in need.These people look at white as their hero because if he was not there they would not have the help of being fed, being clothed, having medical attention and etc. He gives these people self-worth.