• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Are you sure you wouldn't be happier?

I have trouble understanding the lastsentence which reads "Are you sure you wouldn't be happier with a man whois making more money than you?"

I interpret this to mean that you would be happiest if you were married to a man who is making more money than you. If this interpretation is correct, to begin this sentence with "are you sure" does not make sense to me.
    Could anyone enlighten me on this?

Today, a successful single woman who fallsfor a man making less money than she does or not sharing her careerambition may face not-so-subtle disapproval from friends and family. Another feltinsulted when a trusted friend asked, "Are you sure you wouldn't behappier with a man who is making more money than you?"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Are you sure you wouldn't be happier?

The speaker is subtly expressing her personal disapproval of her friend's relationship. Instead of coming right out and saying "I don't think this is the right man for you", she tries to gently suggest that her friend think about the situation; to consider whether she will be truly happy in the long term if she marries a man who earns less money than she. It's sort of like when you're shopping for clothes with a friend, and she tries on a dress that is too tight and an ugly shade of brown and makes her look like a giant potato. She thinks it's stunning however, and in a polite effort to talk her out of purchasing such an unflattering garment you say, "It costs $250! Wouldn't you be happier spending that amount of money on a Coach purse that you can use every day, rather than a party dress you'll only wear on special occasions?"