• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Detailed Dictionary

Hi! I'm looking for a dictionary that describes words in more detail, and distinguishes between similar words. The most common dictionaries (Oxford English Dictionary, Merriam Webster etc.) are too vague, and it is hard to differentiate between similar words. I had a dictionary at some point, that I had borrowed from the library, and it grouped similar words together and described each word individually. For example, anxiety, nervousness, apprehension and disquiet where bunched together, and each word had 4-6 sentences defining them. I, however, no longer remember the name of the dictionary, and I can't find it in the library.

Would anyone happen to have come across it? Do you know any other similar dictionaries?

To be more precise, I'm interested in understanding and distinguishing similar words used to describe emotions, such as guilt and shame, or sullen and grumpy.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Detailed Dictionary

Libraries do not loan dictionaries. (At least, I have never heard of it before.)

Have you tried dictionary.com? It gives three sample sentences with each definition.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

You could be right. I'm not even sure if it's exactly a dictionary, but the description I gave of the book was what I borrowed. Also, I currently have the Cambridge Grammar of English on loan so maybe our library's an exception

Dictionary.com is good if you're looking for a new word, or you just want a general idea of what the word is, but I'm looking for something more detailed. Something that will tell me in what context the word can be used in, and, in regards to emotions or other descriptions, how intense they are. I don't think examples of the words in sentences would be enough.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I don't know if the book you are looking for exists, but maybe (if it does) somebody will come along and tell us about it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

At dictionary.com you often find "usage notes" to distinguish similar words, or for other notes on use (e.g. is it considered formal, which grammatical forms are used, etc.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I can't think of a book which fits your description. I would use a thesaurus to get similar words and then use OneLook.com to find definitions and sample sentences for each.

(Both the library I belong to now and the one I belonged to in Madrid loan dictionaries.)
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.