Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hi,

I am looking for a name to give to a programming library and I thought of "JUSCI" (ju is for me, and sci is for scientific) which I want to be pronounced as "juicy".

I would explicitly state how it should be pronounced, but I would like to know the opinion of native english speakers first.
With and without explanation, how do you fill about "jusci" pronunciation ?

Also, is there negative meaning that the word "juicy" could make think of? I choose it for the sense "something that contains lots of cool stuff".

Thanks,
PS: this is the first time I am using this site. Excuse me if it is not the right place or formulation.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
Without the explanation I would probably read that as 'jewski' /dʒuːskiː/. The SCI ending brings to mind ASCII which uses a 'ski' sound

I don't see anything negative about the word 'juicy'. It's quite evocative, but this native speaker wouldn't pronounce JUSCI like that without any clues.

julien d

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Thanks!
In the field of concern (scientific python), the sci will also be read as in 'sci'entific, based on the "scipy" /saipai/ library well known in the field. But I did not think of the ski sound.
So it seems that the expected pronunciation of 'ju' is what I want, and the pronunciation of 'sci' is not clear: not what I want by default, but providing mine is understandable.
In all cases, I really just need to be sure not to choose anything stupid, because once uploaded online, I won't be able to change it.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Well, when you upload it, you write in your README file, or your introduction to JUSCI, that it's pronounced JUICY.
Of course some people can't pronounce Linux properly yet, (or TKinter) so don't expect miracles.

julien d

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Well, I just want to share some pieces of code that I have done over the past years, so it probably won't have the same visibility as Linux :)

Status
Not open for further replies.