• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

English as a second language teacher

How can a student know when a given verb uses to at the end, such as I object to. Could I have a link to a list of these types of verbs. Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: English as a second language teacher

Quote Originally Posted by nimoc View Post
    How can a student know when a given verb uses "to" at the end after it, such as in "I object to". Could I have a link to a list of these types of verbs? Thanks!
    Welcome to the forum.

Please see my corrections above. As you can see, putting the words you are querying inside quotation marks makes your question much clearer. Also, I have no idea what your title has to do with your question. Thread titles should include some or all of the words you are querying. A good title for this would have been "I object to".

The simple answer to your question is no, we can't give you a list of all the verbs which are followed by "to". It's not as simple as that. Sometimes a verb is followed by a preposition and sometimes it's not. When the preposition forms part of the verb, it's called a "phrasal verb". If you Google "phrasal verbs", I'm sure you'll find some very long lists.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: English as a second language teacher

Quote Originally Posted by nimoc View Post
    How can a student know when a given verb uses to at the end, such as I object to.
    Ther are so may possibilities of verb + preposition that it is more a question of dictionaries than lists. Also, they're not all the same- you can object to [someone] + gerund, but you respond to something, and wouldn't normally use a gerund after it.