Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
What does the author imply by saying "those who think"? Could you put the underlined part another way?
"To be buried while alive is, beyond question, the most terrific of these extremes which has ever fallen to the lot of mere mortality. That it has frequently, very frequently, so fallen will scarcely be denied by those who think." (http://poestories.com/read/premature)

Last edited:
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Malta
I think here Poe is making a distinction between 'thinkers' (i.e educated people who use their heads to think in depth about complicated subjects) and people who are not thinkers (i.e unintelligent people who do not think about subjects such as this). He is saying that 'those who think' would not deny that people are frequently buried alive. Perhaps he is stating this to reinforce the credibility of the statement i.e if people who think cannot deny it, then it must be a known truth.

If I were to put the underlined part another way, it would be:

"That it has frequently, very frequently, so fallen will scarcely be denied by those who spend time thinking about such matters."

I hope this helps!
TMF

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
I think here Poe is making a distinction between 'thinkers' (i.e educated people who use their heads to think in depth about complicated subjects) and people who are not thinkers (i.e unintelligent people who do not think about subjects such as this). He is saying that 'those who think' would not deny that people are frequently buried alive. Perhaps he is stating this to reinforce the credibility of the statement i.e if people who think cannot deny it, then it must be a known truth.

If I were to put the underlined part another way, it would be:

"That it has frequently, very frequently, so fallen will scarcely be denied by those who spend time thinking about such matters."

I hope this helps!
TMF
Maybe Poe implies that the regular nature of that phenomenon can't be denied by the people who are well aware of it (who have heard about it many times). What do you think about it?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Notice, by the way, that Poe uses 'terrific' to mean - of such a kind as to cause terror.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.