• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

Question Is an ellipsis of "with" in "And I you" acceptable?

I witnessed the following dialogue:

A: - I look forward to working with you.
    B: - And I you.
    I am pretty sure this is an ellipsis on "look forward to" which is the predicate, and of the "with" preposition at the same time, but I don't think the latter is acceptable. Is it grammatically correct to omit the preposition "with"? I think it should stick with the pronoun "you" because "with" signifies "in the company of", hence the full meaning of the second sentence should be "And I with you", which can't be achieved if we leave out the "with".

I'd be happiest if anyone can quote sources, like linguistic studies material, or simply literary sources where such an ellipsis has been used by an author who wasn't specifically employing it to portray a character with bad English skills of course.

The logic against which I checked the sentence in question was this - in the sentence "I look forward to working" there is a Subject-Predicate relationship between "me" and "the process of working". Therefore, I think "I" is the subject of the sentence, "look forward" is the sentence's predicate and "with you" is an indirect object referring to the subject. If I am correct about that, then what I find to be strange is that in the response "And I you" what is missing is the subject, while the object which is supposed to be referring to it remains, but has nothing to refer to.

The expression "to work something", even more "to work someone" has a different meaning than "to work with someone", and when "with" is left out, it feels like the meaning becomes unclear in the context that the first sentence has given. But then I know that "it feels" is not a good enough explanation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is an ellipsis of "with" in "And I you" acceptable?

"And I you" is natural everyday usage. It is short for "And I look forward to working with you." The ellipsis, "look forward to working with you" is a noun phrase, so its omission makes grammatical sense.