Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. B45

The Dark Knight is an old movie. I ask my friend: Have you seen The Dark Knight?

The Dark Knight is an old movie. I ask my friend:

Have you seen The Dark Knight?

vs

Did you watch the The Dark Knight?

vs

Did you see The Dark Knight?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: The Dark Knight is an old movie. I ask my friend: Have you seen The Dark Knight

I always use "Have you seen ...?" when I'm talking about films, particularly if I'm asking someone about a film they might or might not have seen at some point in their lives. I would use "Did you watch ...?" for TV shows.

I might use "Did you see ...?" for films when talking about someone's specific visit to a cinema.

John: I went to the cinema last night?
    Me: Did you [go and] see Star Wars or Bridget Jones' Diary?
    John: Neither. We saw Interstellar.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. B45

Re: The Dark Knight is an old movie. I ask my friend: Have you seen The Dark Knight

But The Dark Knight is not in theaters anymore. Would you still use Have you seen for movies that are not playing in the cinema?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I would be more likely to use "Have you seen ...?" for films which aren't on at the cinema any more. It's the question I would use simply to ask someone if they had seen a film ever. It wouldn't matter if it was on at the cinema or 50 years old.

Have you seen The Sound of Music?
    Have you seen Interstellar?
    Have you seen Star Trek IV: The Search For Spock?
    Have you seen all the Charlie Chaplin films?
    Have you seen the new Hunger Games film?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5. B45

Yes, I understand. But how come some native speakers would disagree? I asked another native speaker and he simple said only use have you seen if the movie is still playing in theaters. Otherwise, use did you watch The Dark Knight.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I think there is a definite BrE vs AmE difference here. I'm sure one of the AmE speakers will chime in at some point, but I think where I would say "Have you seen The Dark Knight yet?", they would use "Did you see The Dark Knight yet?"

I would disagree with the native speaker who told you to use "Have you seen ...?" only if the film is still on at cinemas.

7. B45

It seems the two are interchangeable, no?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Not for me, no.

9. B45

What's the difference then? If they're not interchangeable, who is right? American English speakers or you?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

You have to understand that there is not always one single right answer. Something that's correct in BrE might be considered incorrect in AmE and vice versa. Then you have to take into account AusE and CanE and IndE etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast