The Dark Knight is an old movie. I ask my friend: Have you seen The Dark Knight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

The Dark Knight is an old movie. I ask my friend:

Have you seen The Dark Knight?

vs

Did you watch the The Dark Knight?

vs

Did you see The Dark Knight?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I always use "Have you seen ...?" when I'm talking about films, particularly if I'm asking someone about a film they might or might not have seen at some point in their lives. I would use "Did you watch ...?" for TV shows.

I might use "Did you see ...?" for films when talking about someone's specific visit to a cinema.

John: I went to the cinema last night?
Me: Did you [go and] see Star Wars or Bridget Jones' Diary?
John: Neither. We saw Interstellar.

B

B45

But The Dark Knight is not in theaters anymore. Would you still use Have you seen for movies that are not playing in the cinema?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would be more likely to use "Have you seen ...?" for films which aren't on at the cinema any more. It's the question I would use simply to ask someone if they had seen a film ever. It wouldn't matter if it was on at the cinema or 50 years old.

Have you seen The Sound of Music?
Have you seen Interstellar?
Have you seen Star Trek IV: The Search For Spock?
Have you seen all the Charlie Chaplin films?
Have you seen the new Hunger Games film?

B

B45

Yes, I understand. But how come some native speakers would disagree? I asked another native speaker and he simple said only use have you seen if the movie is still playing in theaters. Otherwise, use did you watch The Dark Knight.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think there is a definite BrE vs AmE difference here. I'm sure one of the AmE speakers will chime in at some point, but I think where I would say "Have you seen The Dark Knight yet?", they would use "Did you see The Dark Knight yet?"

I would disagree with the native speaker who told you to use "Have you seen ...?" only if the film is still on at cinemas.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not for me, no.

B

B45

What's the difference then? If they're not interchangeable, who is right? American English speakers or you?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You have to understand that there is not always one single right answer. Something that's correct in BrE might be considered incorrect in AmE and vice versa. Then you have to take into account AusE and CanE and IndE etc.

B

B45

Any American English speakers want to share their view on this subject?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree 100% with ems.

Just because a movie is no longer in theaters does not mean it's not available on DVDs, Netflix, movie channels on TV, on iTunes, etc.
You have not missed your one and only chance to see a movie simply because it is not in theaters.

By the way, your definition of "old movie" and mine differ by about 50 years.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am an AmE speaker and I agree with ems and Barb.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yes, I understand. But how come some native speakers would disagree? I asked another native speaker and he simple said only use have you seen if the movie is still playing in theaters. Otherwise, use did you watch The Dark Knight.

I think it depends on the exact meaning of the question. If the person wants to know whether you saw it at the cinema while it was on recently, then the past works, but if the person wants to know whether you have seen it at any point in your life, then the present perfect is the form I would use.

Status
Not open for further replies.