Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Turkey
Hello.
While doing exercises from English grammar about articles I found few that I don't understand. Could someone help me understand, please?

1.) There aren't many words beginning with AN "x". -why we used article an not the? we have only one x in alphabet
2.) I have to clean THE flat before my quests will come. - I thought that with places like, "my" home we don't use article
3.) I'd rather live in THE country than in A town. - "the country" will be always with define article - it's something like an expression?
4.)
You should try beef at THE Black Cat restaurant.
His pub's called - Paul's Bar. - Why in first sentence we used the and in second didn't. Do we use articles with institutional names?

Thank you all for help!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can say:

There aren't many words beginning with x​.​

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

I have to clean the flat before guests come. (Yes, if you say "my home" you wouldn't use the article.)

In American English we would say:

I have to clean the apartment before guests come.

:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
3. I'd rather live in the country than in town. (Yes. It's a set phrase.)
4. You should try the beef at The Black Cat Restaurant. (The word "The" there is either part of the name of the restaurant or refers to a specific restaurant. I am not sure which it is here.)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
klovi said:
1.) "There aren't many words beginning with AN "x"." Why is the article "an" used, not "the"? There is only one x in the alphabet.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I cannot answer your great question, but I believe that I am accurate in telling you this:

People often say: "There are not many words that begin with x." (As Tarheel told us.)

This seems to be a shorter way to say: "There are not many words that begin with the letter x."

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is only one "x" in the alphabet, but there are many more "x's" out there in existence. One word starts with an x, and some other word also starts with an x.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Now that a teacher has given us the answer to your "an x" question, I thought that you would like these examples that I found in the "books" section of Google (where thousands of books are digitalized for our use):

1. "How may words start with an s?" -- Words, Wit, and Wonder (2009) by Nancy Loewen.

2. "When it comes to vowels, the majority of two-letter words start with an A, I, O, or U and end with an E, O, or y." -- The Everything Large-Print Cryptograms Book by Nikki Katz.

3. "If a word of three letters or more is chosen at random from a dictionary, is there more chance of it beginning with a k or more chance that the third letter is a k?" -- Essential Psychology (2010) by Banyard, Davies, and Norman.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am sure that was supposed to be:

How many words start with an s?

(More words start with an s than start with any other letter. So the answer is: quite a few.)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are 100% correct: that should be "many."

Although I proofread my posts at least thrice before posting, the eye sees what it wants to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.