Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi,

I have run across a strange phrase I would like a good soul to help me with.

The situation is a party with several people. Ramon rubbedWilfred up the wrong way by saying a certain unpleasant and unattractive womanwould make him a great wife. This ironic comment makes Wilfred furious and hethrows a heavy decanter at Ramon. Fortunately the missile strucks only aglancing blow and though Ramon´s brow is slashed open nothing serious hashappened.
Wilfred, ashamed of himself, goes away with his head bent,and Ramon says to his friends who witnessed the awkward scene:
“Ah, nothing serious. I will have a bulge on my brow,nothing more serious, and even that may correct the unhappy slant“.

What the hell is the unhappoy slant?

Thanks for help

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Please give the wider context.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is no need to swear when asking questions.

One can assume that the person was unhappy with the "slant" of his brow before he got beaned with a decanter.

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There is no need to swear when asking questions.

One can assume that the person was unhappy with the "slant" of his brow before he got beaned with a decanter.

That was exactly my guess but it sounded so bizzare to me I did not dare to say it could be so, so I needed to confirm this guess of mine by somebody who knows the ropes. :)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

I have run across a strange phrase I would like a good soul to help me with.

The situation is a party with several people. Ramon rubbed Wilfred up the wrong way by saying a certain unpleasant and unattractive woman would make him a great wife. This [STRIKE]ironic[/STRIKE] comment made Wilfred furious and he threw a heavy decanter at Ramon. Fortunately the missile struck only aglancing blow and though Ramon´s brow is slashed open nothing serious has happened. (Nothing serious?)
Wilfred, ashamed of himself, goes away with his head bent, and Ramon said to his friends who witnessed the awkward scene:
“Ah, nothing serious. I will have a bulge on my brow,nothing more serious, and even that may correct the unhappy slant“.

What the hell is the unhappy slant?

[STRIKE]Thanks for the help[/STRIKE]

You can thank me now.

:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is important to give your source when you quote someone else's writing. What is this from and who was the author?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It should, of course, have been:

a glancing blow

Please space after commas.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Johny said:
What the hxxx is an " unhappy slant"?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I am sure that you did not mean (want to) swear. You only wanted to emphasize your question.

In the future, you could say something that is more socially acceptable: What in the world does "an unhappy slant" mean?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That was exactly my guess but it sounded so bizzare to me I did not dare to say it could be so, so I needed to confirm this guess of mine by somebody who knows the ropes. :)

I think the person is trying to make light of the situation so that the other person doesn't feel guilty.

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Tarheel,
There is something wrong with what I do not know because I write posts in my Word but when I copy the text in here some words are put together so I must keep an eye out for it but sometimes I may over look it and "aglancing blown" instead of "a glancing blow" comes alive ...

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
That is a fault with this editor. It sometimes does drop spaces when you paste from another word processor.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tarheel,
There is something wrong with what I do not know because I write posts in my Word but when I copy the text in here some words are put together so I must keep an eye out for it but sometimes I may over look it and "aglancing blown" instead of "a glancing blow" comes alive ...

Wow! (That sentence has the effect of mesmerizing me.) Anyhow, I am not supposed to miss stuff. So when I do miss something I try to catch it before somebody else does. Well, let's try:

There is a problem sometimes when I post something from Word. Sometimes when I copy and paste something it doesn't come out the way it's supposed to. I try to catch everything, but sometimes I miss something.

Hey, we are all human and make mistakes. As I noted earlier, sometimes I miss something too. (Anyhow, it's probably Red5's fault. ;-))

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Tarheel,

In the advanced editor, there is a Paste from Word button. Try that. :up:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am pretty sure I had never used the word "mesmerize" before, but that is the effect that sentence has on me.

:shock:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That is a fault with this editor. It sometimes does drop spaces when you paste from another word processor.

The makers of the editor would say that it is the fault of the coding of the word processor. ;-)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps I should have noted that "overlook" is one word and can be either a verb or a noun.

(BTW, I am not an IT guy, but I play one on TV.)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The makers of the editor would say that it is the fault of the coding of the word processor. ;-)
Touché. However, the error must be somewhere, at some specific point in the encoding. A computer scientist could (theoretically) isolate exactly where the spaces are dropping out and why. That might not change what the makers of various editors say though.
Given that i) I can paste from Word and Open Office to here, and have spaces go missing and 2) I've never encountered this when pasting to other editors, such as university bulletin boards, other forums, etc. my money's on this editor as being the culprit.
Of course, I'd concede that this is not necessarily a programming fault, since the programmers of this editor may never have had it in their specifications that pasting from Word should be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.