Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In general, driving a motor vehicle in America is a widely varied skill. Every state has its own laws and guidelines on how to handle their cars. For example, in New York, never use your turn signal when you want to change lanes. New York City drivers respond to this by crowding the lane you are trying to get into. Only use your turn signal for turns. Meanwhile, one peculiar thing the drivers in Pittsburgh like to do is not to go right after the traffic signal turns green when there is a car waiting to make a left turn at the opposite side of the crossing. It seems the local etiquette is for the first vehicle waiting to turn left to have the right of way, then traffic may resume at its usua

Do the following drivers crowd the lane the front car is trying to get into n New York? I think it's because they perceive the turn signal as turning left or right not as changing lanes, right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Wow. If that's true, it's really dangerous! One of my biggest bugbears in the UK is people who don't indicate their intention to pull out or pull in to a different lane on dual carriageways and motorways. How on earth is anyone supposed to know that you plan to change lanes if you don't indicate?

It certainly appears that those drivers are trying to send a message to the indicating driver that he/she is using their turn signal inappropriately (in their opinion!) I assume that the other cars bunch up and fill up the space that the indicating car wanted to move into.

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Most large cities in the U.S. have their own peculiarities when it comes to driving. But such things as the "Pittsburgh left" are not usually legal no matter how many people do it "all the time." According to state law, you are supposed to use your turn signal to indicate that you are going to change lanes in New York. I've only driven in NYC once, and no one purposely crowded me when I signaled for a lane change. Maybe it was because my car had a Michigan license plate - they knew that I was a rube. :lol:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
"Crowding the lane you are trying to get into" means impeding your entry into that lane. What is the source of these paragraphs? I drove in NYC for most of my adult life and found other drivers to be as courteous (or not) as in any other large city.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Why do they impede your entry into another lane? Jill says it's legal in NYC, but why does rique say it's hindered by other drivers? The source, I don't know. It's just a queston of a high school material.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why do they impede your entry into another lane?

Because they are selfish and inconsiderate.

I am from Pittsburgh. The "Pittsburgh Left" does exist. It is a courtesy somtimes granted (and sometimes taken aggressively) to improve traffic flow in both directions. There are many narrow intersections, so a car waiting to turn left impedes all traffic flow in that direction. I would not counsel that one attempt it, unless the car opposing you waves you on or otherwise signals you to take the turn.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Why do they impede your entry into another lane? Jill says it's legal in NYC, but why does rique say it's hindered by other drivers? The source, I don't know. It's just a queston of a high school material.
Please read both posts again. Jill did not say it's legal in NYC and I merely gave a definition for the phrase. Neither of the posts contradicted the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.