1. B45

We're talking about two girls that ditched my brother during recess. I say to my bro

We're talking about two girls that ditched my brother during recess. I say to my brother's friend:

Don't let these/those two girls affect your life too much. There are plenty of fish in the sea.

Are both okay? How do I know when to use these and those?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: We're talking about two girls that ditched my brother during recess. I say to my

Two girls both ditched your brother during recess??!! (Yes, I know I just broke the rule about one single punctuation mark, but I'm that surprised!)

Your sentence suggests that your brother had two girlfriends at the same time (never a good idea) and that during recess they both told him they no longer wanted to date him (unsurprising, especially if they had found out about each other).

Also, if they ditched your brother, why would you say your sentence to your brother's friend? It would make sense to say it to your brother.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. B45

Re: We're talking about two girls that ditched my brother during recess. I say to my

I'm talking to my brother's best friend because he's the only person my brother trusts and saw what happened. They promised that they would play tether ball with him but they ended up playing with another group instead. So, as they were passing by after school, I said those words to my brother's best friend.

It's got nothing to do with dating.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Then I have no idea what it's about. If you say that a girl "ditched" a boy, it means they told him they want to stop dating him. The word "dumped" has the same connotation.

If you want to make it clear that they reneged on an agreement, you need to make the context clear.

It still doesn't make sense to say "Don't let those girls affect your life" to his best friend. The girls aren't having an effect on his friend's life. You could say "My brother can't allow those girls to affect his life too much".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

"Ditched" is used informally in AmE in the context provided by Batman.

6. B45

What if we're talking about two guys in an online chat room being very mean to us and I send a private text message telling my brother:

Don't let these two guys get to us!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

That works, although I prefer "those two guys".