Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear all,
I have seen or heard the phrases "be soaked to the skin" and "be soaked to the bone" to mean someone is all wet. Which do you think is used more often? A friend of mine from Texas says she uses "bone" and has never heard the "skin" version, but on the Internet there are more matches of "skin" than "bone". I don't know if this is because of personal preference or regional difference, or other reasons.

Thank you!
OP

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In BE it's 'soaked to the skin' and 'chilled to the bone'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We also use "soaked through to the skin".

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm from Michigan, not Texas, and I've only ever heard "soaked [through] to the skin" and "chilled to the bone". Since the metaphor is designed to describe how hard it's raining outside, or a situation where a person wasn't expecting to get wet (he fell out of a boat, perhaps), it is presumed that the person was fully clothed. So to get soaked through to the skin means that the circumstances completely saturated his various layers clothing and actually soaked his flesh. (Of course, Texans have a habit of exaggerating everything.....y'know, because everything is Bigger, Badder and Better in Texas... so perhaps they say "soaked to the bone" there because they get wetter than the rest of us when it rains. ;-) )

Status
Not open for further replies.