Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A piece of my comment on <Titanic> in China:

It was in 1997 when <Titanic> arrived in China's movie theaters. The movie was a big hit, and soon swept the whole nation. It brought an eye-opening experience. For many, it was their first taste of an authentic expensive Hollywood movie with big scences, actions, and special effects. It's like going to a high-end classic western restaurant for a visual feast.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A piece of my comment on <Titanic> in China:

It was in 1997 when <Titanic> arrived in China's movie theaters. The movie was a big hit, and it soon swept the whole nation. Viewing Titanic was an eye-opening experience. For many, it was their first taste of an authentic big budget Hollywood movie with big scenes, much action, and special effects that were truly special. It's was like going to a high-end classic Western restaurant for a visual feast.

Why not use quote marks? Don't you go to a restaurant to eat there?

:)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Yaoming:

As Tarheel implied, American English does not use angle brackets ( < > ) to indicate a motion picture. To do so seems very strange to American readers.

Americans use a variety of punctuation:

I enjoyed "Titanic" very much.
I enjoyed Titanic very much.
I enjoyed Titanic very much. (If you are not able to use italics -- as in the second sentence.)

Status
Not open for further replies.