Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi

(A) How to not gain weight.
(B) How not to gain weight.

Any difference or rule?
Can you tell me which one sounds more natural?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What you're learning to do is avoid gaining weight. The opposite of 'How to gain weight' is ''How to avoid gaining weight'.

That said, people do use 'How not to gain weight'. Personally, I don't think it makes sense, but as long as - in Real Life - it conveys a meaning, what I think doesn't really matter. ;-)

b

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For me there is a difference between "not to" and "to not". I think "to not" is somewhat stronger and more purposeful.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Any ... rule?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Takoyaki:

1. Most books give this "rule": The adverb "not" comes before the infinitive. (My example: I try not to eat too much ice cream.)

2. Most books also say that many native speakers often break this rule: I try to not eat too much ice cream.

a. Why do native speakers break this rule?

i. As a teacher in this thread told you, it seems to emphasize the negativity.

3. My respectful suggestion:

a. While you are a learner, you might consider simply following the rule (especially on tests if you have a strict teacher).
b. When you become fluent in the language, then you can let your ear be the guide.

oldbei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Takoyaki:

1. Most books give this "rule": The adverb "not" comes before the infinitive. (My example: I try not to eat too much ice cream.)

2. Most books also say that many native speakers often break this rule: I try to not eat too much ice cream.

a. Why do native speakers break this rule?

i. As a teacher in this thread told you, it seems to emphasize the negativity.

3. My respectful suggestion:

a. While you are a learner, you might consider simply following the rule (especially on tests if you have a strict teacher).
b. When you become fluent in the language, then you can let your ear be the guide.

Exactly, rules are just for us ESL learners. :roll:

I was also taught not to break the infinitive construction. For example, say "to walk slowly away" rather than "to slowly walk away." But in reality, people do put stuff in between the "to" and the verb, right?

Oh, there is another rule that I have heard: never start a sentence with the word "but."

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Many of those rules have gone the way of the Model T Ford.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Exactly, rules are just for us ESL learners. :roll:

Rules are often better thought of as guides or signs rather than inviolable laws. People do split infinitives and start sentences with and/but.

Also, do you seriously think that an ESL learner starting out would benefit from an anything goes approach, or that they should be allowed to do anything we might find acceptable in a great writer's work? There might be a case for learning to walk before running. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.