Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear all,

In the sentence below, what does "simply" modify? Does it modify "the realization"?

Creative thinking may well mean simply the realization that there's no particular virtue in doing things the way they have always been done.

Thank you!

OP

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If it modified 'the realization', it should be 'the simple realization'. So I think the adverb 'simply' modifies the verb 'mean'.

Not a teacher.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: And your teacher (this feels like homework) probably went to the same school as my English teacher, who insisted that adverbs modify verbs, whereas adjectives qualify nouns.

b

optimistic pessimist

Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear all,
At first, I thought the same as Matthew, but I noticed that like the cases of "He is only a child" or "Meg is merely a good friend", adverbs can modify article (+adjective)+noun. That's why I thought "simply" could modify "the realization". Is my guess still wrong?

Thank you

OP

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, your guess is wrong.

oldbei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
I wonder what the word order would be if the sentence were in Japanese.

To use "he is only a child" as an example, in Chinese, we would have something like "he only is a child" as its translation, which clearly shows what "only" modifies. :lol:

Compare "Mary is his only child" with "Mary is only a child." The first "only" is an adjective, while the second an adverb.

*** Not a teacher ***

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"Meg is merely a good friend", adverbs can modify article (+adjective)+noun.
I think 'merely' modifies 'is', because it should be 'a mere good friend' if it modified the noun.

in Chinese
We should try to forget it while learning English, or we will use Chinglish unawares.

Not a teacher.

oldbei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
We should try to forget it while learning English, or we will use Chinglish unawares.

I respectfully disagree. Whether you like it or not, your mother tongue is in your blood. It will affect you in one way or another when you learn a new language. Dealing with such effect is better than simply ignoring it in my opinion.

optimistic pessimist

Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi oldbey
Thanks for your post. Since the Japanese language has totally different word order from English, the English sentence made up in the Japanese word order, "he only child is", doesn't make any sense. I understand English and Chinese are similar in word order, and that's why you can compare the two languages the way you did in your post.

OP

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Last edited:

oldbei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
The more you think about your native language, the more you are affected by it while using English.

Being affected by the things you already knew is not necessarily a bad thing. Why can people acquire more easily a new language that is similar to the one that they already knew? I suspect it's because they've got some help from what they already knew. Although English is very different from Chinese, they do share considerable similarities nevertheless, especially when it comes to grammar. For example, if you have learned you need to use an adverb to modify a verb in Chinese, is it so bad to use this understanding when you study English?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Such opinions may be the cause of the prevalence of Chinglish among us Chinese people.

Not a teacher.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Somewhere in this forum I posted a graphic I used when starting with a group of adults learning Portuguese - if I find it I'll post a link. It's relevant, I think, and explains my support of MW's position. When using language you need to forget about what you're doing and just do it. ;-) As soon as you stop and think in your mother tongue!] 'What's that in my mother tongue?' you stop being a language user and become a word processor.

b

oldbei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
Such opinions may be the cause of the prevalence of Chinglish among us Chinese people.

You are still focusing on the negative transfer, while there is something called "positive transfer:"

"When the relevant unit or structure of both languages are the same, linguistic interference can result in correct language production called positive transfer." --Wikipedia

oldbei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
Not a teacher

Somewhere in this forum I posted a graphic I used when starting with a group of adults learning Portuguese - if I find it I'll post a link. It's relevant, I think, and explains my support of MW's position. When using language you need to forget about what you're doing and just do it. ;-) As soon as you stop and think in your mother tongue!] 'What's that in my mother tongue?' you stop being a language user and become a word processor.

b

I beg to differ. I am by no means promoting constantly translating from your mother tongue when you speak in a foreign language. What I am trying to argue is to make use of what you already knew when learning something new. It's like using grammar. You don't think about it when you speak, but it's a great tool when you analyze sentences. It helps you understand why some of them work while others do not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You are still focusing on the negative transfer, while there is something called "positive transfer:"
I think it is more negative than positive.

Not a teacher.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't say more. I agree that recognizing similarities between languages can be useful (as a language learner I've certainly found that). But the positives usually carry a risk (as language teacher I've certainly found that). 'Dicho y hecho MEANS "No sooner said than done"' - no it doesn't, though in some contexts it comes close. 'A French /b/ is the same as an English /b/.' No no NO - if you believe that you'll always sound like something out of Astérix chez les Bretons. ;-)

b

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
But the positives usually carry a risk
The risk is especially big to us Chinese people because Chinese is very different from English.

Not a teacher.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a question for you, Matthew (because I think you know the answer). Is it true that manny people in Hong Kong learn English as a first language or that they learn English and Chinese at the same time (while they are growing up)? And is it true that in Singapore residents are actually required to learn English (in public school)? (If you don't know the answer to this one I am sure somebody here does.)

(BTW, your contributions to this forum are valuable.)

:up:

oldbei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
You could say Chinese mainlanders are required to learn English too. I am from Beijing and I wasn't really given a choice not to learn English since jurnior high.

Status
Not open for further replies.