Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Hi there,

"It reminds of you" is this a natural way to express? I have not given a context because this is just an expression and seem, of course, easier.

Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"It reminds me of you" is a natural way of expressing a certain concept. The problem with not giving a context is that we can say "Yes, that's fine" to almost any short string of words. There are an infinite number of things which "It reminds me of you" is not a natural way to express.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Thanks Raymott, sorry about that. Well! here is the context; for example, I saw something somewhere which reminds me of my girl friend. When I call here on phone, I want to say to her " It reminds me of you". In that kind of situation, is it natural to express, right?

But I didn't get your last statement "There are an infinite number of things which "It reminds me of you" is not a natural way to express". Can you clarify it to me with some examples too, if you do not mind? I mean when does that expression become unnatural?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1. Yes, it's OK in that context, or "It reminded me of you".

2. It's not a natural way to express "I'd like some coffee, please", or "My hovercraft is full of eels" - not that I'm suggesting this is what you wanted to express. The point is that we have no idea what you want to use the phrase to mean unless you tell us. We can only say that, yes, under the right conditions, that is an appropriate thing to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.