Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Is the pronunciation of the letter 'i' in the word 'oil' the same as that of the letter 'i' in the word 'ill' (and other words with a stressed short /i/, such as 'hit' and 'crystal')?

Also, is the pronunciation of the letter 'y' in the word 'boy' the same as that of the letter 'y' in the word 'gym' (and other words with a stressed short /i/, such as 'system' and 'shrimp')?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would argue that the letter is not pronounced at all -- certainly not as a separate vowel.

"Boy" is a one syllable word. The "oy" is pronounced as one particular sound, not as an "o" sound followed by a "y" sound.

Same thing with "oil." There are large variations on how this word is pronounced in different dialects. But, generally, the "oi" is the same as in "boy."

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree with Soothing Dave (as usual). Both "oi" and "oy" usually indicate diphthongs with identical pronunciation.

But not always. For example "coincide" has three syllables, "co" "in" and "cide".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
No & no, IMO.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you'll excuse the plug, see here. The book's not for beginners, but it shows how any pair of written vowels can be pronounced - sometimes dozens of possibilities for one pair.

b

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Sorry to have been late to say thanks to SoothingDave, probus, Tdol and BobK.

According to the Oxford and Cambridge English dictionaries, the pronunciations of the words "oil', 'ill', 'boy' and 'gym' are as follows:
oil /ɔɪl/
ill/ɪl/ 
boy /bɔɪ/
gym /dʒɪm/

Looking forwartd to more replies.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You need to know the meaning in IPA terms of a diphthong phoneme: the diphthong phoneme /ɔɪ/ doesn't mean 'the speaker pronounces a fully realized /ɔ/ followed by a fully realized /ɪ/' (and in any case 'fully realized' there can have a plethora of meanings dependent on phonological context); besides, not many modern transcriptions use /ɔ/ as a monophthong phoneme in English (though some systems did use it once, where today we have /ɒ/ - the sounds of spoken English have changed since Daniel Jones made his recordings in 1917).

A diphthong is dynamic; the tongue moves all the time. If I say /ɑ:/ I can keep saying it for as long as my breath lasts. You could say 'Stop' at any stage and my tongue would be in the same position. But because the tongue keeps moving throughout a diphthong, the same isn't possible; the sound is always changing. So a diphthong phoneme can't be said to be 'made up of' a string of monophthong phonemes (though for the last tiny fraction of a second the end of an /ɔɪ/ phoneme would - if you recorded it and played it in a continuous loop for long enough - be 'like' /ɪ/.

b

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
You need to know the meaning in IPA terms of a diphthong phoneme: the diphthong phoneme /ɔɪ/ doesn't mean 'the speaker pronounces a fully realized /ɔ/ followed by a fully realized /ɪ/' (and in any case 'fully realized' there can have a plethora of meanings dependent on phonological context); besides, not many modern transcriptions use /ɔ/ as a monophthong phoneme in English (though some systems did use it once, where today we have /ɒ/ - the sounds of spoken English have changed since Daniel Jones made his recordings in 1917).

A diphthong is dynamic; the tongue moves all the time. If I say /ɑ:/ I can keep saying it for as long as my breath lasts. You could say 'Stop' at any stage and my tongue would be in the same position. But because the tongue keeps moving throughout a diphthong, the same isn't possible; the sound is always changing. So a diphthong phoneme can't be said to be 'made up of' a string of monophthong phonemes (though for the last tiny fraction of a second the end of an /ɔɪ/ phoneme would - if you recorded it and played it in a continuous loop for long enough - be 'like' /ɪ/.

b

Thank you for your reply, BobK.

In pronouncing the diphthong phoneme /ɔɪ/, does not your tongue move from the position of sound 'ɔ' to sound 'ɪ'?

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

In pronouncing the diphthong phoneme /ɔɪ/, does not your tongue move from the position of sound 'ɔ' to sound 'ɪ'?
Yes; but the time your tongue stays in those positions is so short that it doesn't produce an audible monophthong. ;-)

b

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Yes; but the time your tongue stays in those positions is so short that it doesn't produce an audible monophthong. ;-)

b

I agree to your opinion, and I am even in the opinion that the pronunciation of the word 'you' is different from that of the alphabetical letter 'u'. The pronunciation of the word 'you' is a clear consonant /j/ followed by a clear vowel /u:/.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In another recent thread, almost all the native speakers agreed that the pronunciation of the letter "u" is identical to the pronunciation of the word "you".

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In another recent thread, almost all the native speakers agreed that the pronunciation of the letter "u" is identical to the pronunciation of the word "you".

θæŋk jə
siː jə

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
naʊ juː ɑː biːɪŋ ˈstjuːpɪd

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

b

Thank you for your reply, SoothingDave, probus, Tdol and BobK.

Is it not more sensible that different phonetic symbols are used for the letters 'oi' in the word 'oil', such as /ɔǐ/?
Thus, the pronunciations of the words "oil', 'ill', 'boy' and 'gym' are as follows:
oil /ɔǐl/
ill/ɪl/ 
boy /bɔǐ/
gym /dʒɪm/

Status
Not open for further replies.