What is the best structure to talk about this intention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, so your Home Country is Iran, your native language is Persian and your current location is Iran. I still can't see how you're a minority - is it simply because people in the town where you live choose to converse in Turkish?

sinnnnna

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
OK, so your Home Country is Iran, your native language is Persian and your current location is Iran. I still can't see how you're a minority - is it simply because people in the town where you live choose to converse in Turkish?

They did not chose to speak in Turkish. Our ancestors are Turks and if we were not forced to educate in Persian we were also 100% pure Turk, who speak/write/read in Turkish.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I understand that, but within your university you are an Iranian-born, Persian-speaking, Persian-writing person - in Iran! I still don't see how you're in a minority.

sinnnnna

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Persians are mostly racist, they have made so many offensive jokes for us and they even have some slangs, like "N****" in english, referring to Turks.
Although none of these happenes in the university environment, it is fully apparent from Persians' treatment to us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Now that I understand the situation I can do a better job of helping you say that in English.

Regarding to difference in my mother tongue language from country's official language, I have always been considered a minority by the university community. However, this fact did not isolate me; it even encouraged me more to engage in various social activities.

Say:

My mother tongue (Turkish) is different from the country's official language (Persian), and I have always been considered a minority by the university community. However, I did not let that discourage me from engaging in various social activities.

Please note the differences in the two statements. Also, feel free to comment on the changes.

:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
With my help you will be reading and writing English like a native soon.

I am native Turkish, but I can only read and write in Persian because of the country's educational system. What is your opinion? Am I native Turkish, native Persian, or both?

So it is official government policy to discourage people from using any language other than Persian?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am an Iranian. I was born in Iran and I grew up in Iran. However, where I came from, children start talking both languages simultaneously. In my town, people use Turkish for their daily conversations, but they are only allowed to learn how to read and write in Persian.

Say:

However, where I came from, children learn both Turkish and Persian.

(You can't really speak both languages simultaneously.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They did not chose to speak in Turkish. Our ancestors were Turks and if we were not forced to educate in Persian we were also 100% pure Turk, who speak/write/read in Turkish.

I think that in this case you said the opposite of what you meant to say. (Please tell me if I am wrong.) My interpretation:

They prefer to speak Turkish. Our ancestors were Turks, and if we were not forced to be educated in Persian we would speak, write, and read in Turkish.

Last edited by a moderator:

sinnnnna

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think that in this case you sad the opposite of what you meant to say. (Please tell me if I am wrong.) My interpretation:

They prefer to speak Turkish. Our ancestors were Turks, and if we were not forced to be educated in Persian we would speak, write, and read in Turkish.

You have a magic for rephrasing what I want to say in perfect way :-D

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Persians are mostly racist, they have made so many offensive jokes for us and they even have some slangs, like "N****" in english, referring to Turks.
Although none of these happenes in the university environment, it is fully apparent from Persians' treatment to us.

Try:

Persians are mostly racists, and they have made many offensive jokes directed toward us, and they even have slang expressions referring to Turks (like n***** in English). Although none of this happens in the university environment, we do resent it.

:-|

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Somebody once said that a gentleman should always say what he means and mean what he says.

The first thing:

It is or is not a fact that a person is a part of a minority group. How that person is treated as a result of that is another matter.

The other thing:

To say that because people discourage you, abuse you, ignore you (by turns), and because of that you are more encouraged than before to socialize with other students is like saying that now that you are blind you can see better than you could before.

There is a reason that I have said to people several times that they should make shorter, simpler sentences. It is for the sake of clarity.

(I thought you engineer types didn't like being around people anyway. The stereotype is that you love your jobs but you can't stand people. ;-))

(Why am I posting the same thing in two different places? First, because I can. Second, I am making some important points, and I want people to pay attention to what I am saying. (Don't worry. I'm finished. Two is enough.))

Status
Not open for further replies.