Academic
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Hi,

I ran into the expression "heavy revvie" and I don't know what it means. I would appreciate anyone who could help!

Thanks in advance,

Hagay

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, but without some idea of the context in which it was being used, I can't help.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please give us the context (preferably the rest of the sentence and the sentences around it) and the title and author/singer of the piece/song in which you heard it.

Hagay.Bar

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
First thank you both (Grumpy and emsr2d2),

And now a little about the context - I ran into this expression in an article about foundation managers and their candidates and grantees (dated to 1975). The author of this article gives a typology of grant candidates (as seen from the perspective of the foundations' managers) and one of the characteristic candidate is called: "The Heavy Revvie Or Foundation Slick Candidate."

And here is a paragraph in which the expression is used two times:

"It just seems so much easier for a heavy revvie to get a grant than it is for somebody on your
block who’s probably never tried to raise money before and is trying to organize a food co-op. The relative importance of your getting the money and the heavy revvie getting the money is probably inverse."

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for the context. Sadly, (on this occasion) it doesn't really give any specific clues about the exact nature of the expression, but it obviously means someone who is an experienced and successful operator: in this particular context, someone who is used to running a large and thriving enterprise, with a history of attracting outside funding. In a gambling context, he might be called a "high roller". Perhaps the "revvie" element refers to "revenue", as in someone who attracts a heavy (ie high) amount of revenue. Alternatively, to take an example from motor-sport, "heavy revvie" might equate to a "high revving" individual: someone who operates at the peak of performance. Take your pick....

PS. Better to say What does "heavy revvie" mean?

Last edited:

Hagay.Bar

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Thank you so much for the detailed answer, I appreciate your help!

Hagay

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know this is an old post, but I have to add: I worked at a grant-making foundation for fourteen years, including five as the director, and I've never heard that expression.

Status
Not open for further replies.