Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi I got a question over, whats the difference between 1:Answer to me.
2:Answer me. Whats the meaning of them witch one is formal or informal and another few information about it.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They mean completely different things.

To "answer to" (or "be answerable to") someone means that you are responsible to that individual for something. Thus, you answer to your teacher for the quality of your work. Or your boss could say to you "You answer to me for being on time every day".

To "answer" someone is to reply to their question. The only time "Answer to me" might be used in that sense of "answer" might be if a class of pupils were asked a question by one teacher, but another teacher wanted the responses to be made to him or her.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. I've got a question over[] what's the difference between 1:Answer to me.
2:Answer me. What's the meaning of them? Which one is formal or informal, and could you give me any more information about them?

I forgot to include these corrections in my previous response.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi​. I [STRIKE]got[/STRIKE] have a question [STRIKE]over, whats[/STRIKE] about the difference between:

1: Answer to me.
2: Answer me.

What's the meaning of them? [STRIKE]witch[/STRIKE] Which one is formal [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] and which is informal? [STRIKE]and another few[/STRIKE] Can you give me any more information about them? [STRIKE]it.[/STRIKE]

Grumpy has answered your question. Now please look at my corrections to your post in red. If you don't understand any of the corrections, please ask us for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.