• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Costa Rica
      • Current Location:
      • Costa Rica

Biodiversity conservation

In that direction the BMC, a strategic program of the CCAD works in the maintenance and restoration of regional landscape connectivity, driving development and actions in order to consolidate a new balance among people’s subsistence needs, prevailing economy dynamic and the potential of their natural resources derived from ecological, economic and social criteria.

Hello. Could you tell me if the above text is correctly writing?

However, conventional farming causes high erosion levels, soil degradation; solid wastes runoff, as well as, contamination of soil and water both in and out of the farm. Therefore, social, relevant vulnerability rise for the economic approach that would increase poverty rates. Against this background, the economic sectors involved in the management and natural resources uses, must adopt land use mechanisms to improve livelihoods and biodiversity conservation and promoting sustainable development.

The aim has four specific objectives:

1. To identify and prioritize sites of importance for biodiversity protection and conservation and of great impact on the MSMEs economic development.
    2. To identify and prioritize sectors (primarily agriculture, forestry, agroforestry) reliant on biodiversity, where MSMEs develops conservation activities and at the same time, promoting the creation of business strengthening and new markets.
    3. To formulate the selection criteria to prioritize important sites for biodiversity.
    4. To analyze and visualize the productive landscapes, including those selected both in and out of the CBM and sites of great importance for biodiversity, derived from a national and regional scale mapping portfolio.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Biodiversity conservation

Quote Originally Posted by sebasttian View Post
    In that direction, the BMC, a strategic program of the CCAD, works in the maintenance and restoration of regional landscape connectivity, driving development and actions in order to consolidate a new balance among people’s subsistence needs, the prevailing economy dynamic and the potential of their natural resources, (?) derived from ecological, economic and social criteria.

Hello. Could you tell me if the above text is correctly written?

However, conventional farming causes high erosion levels, soil degradation; solid wastes runoff, as well as, contamination of soil and water both in and out of the farm. Therefore, social, relevant vulnerability rise for the economic approach that would increase poverty rates. Against this background, the economic sectors involved in the management and natural resources uses, must adopt land use mechanisms to improve livelihoods and biodiversity conservation and promoting sustainable development.

The aim has four specific objectives:

1. To identify and prioritize sites of importance for biodiversity protection and conservation and of great impact on the MSMEs economic development.
    2. To identify and prioritize sectors (primarily agriculture, forestry, agroforestry) reliant on biodiversity, where MSMEs develops conservation activities and at the same time, promoting the creation of business strengthening and new markets.
    3. To formulate the selection criteria to prioritize important sites for biodiversity.
    4. To analyze and visualize the productive landscapes, including those selected both in and out of the CBM and sites of great importance for biodiversity, derived from a national and regional scale mapping portfolio.
    It's too long to be clearly understandable. For example it's not clear to me what is "derived from ecological, economic and social criteria": is it the "new balance..", or is it the "potential of their natural resources'? Since you didn't have a comma after "resources" it would seem the latter, but I suspect you may mean the former.
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In that direction the BMC, a strategic program of the CCAD works in the maintenance and restoration of regional landscape connectivity, driving development and actions in order to consolidate a new balance among people’s subsistence needs, prevailing economy dynamic and the potential of their natural resources derived from ecological, economic and social criteria.

Hello. Could you tell me if the above text is correctly written?
    I am wondering if there really is such a thing as landscape connectivity. In any case, I suggest that you simplify that and achieve greater clarity.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Costa Rica
      • Current Location:
      • Costa Rica

Dear Grumpy. Thank you. I edited the last sentence as:
    "In that direction, the BMC, a strategic program of the CCAD, works in the maintenance and restoration of regional forest landscape connectivity. Thus, the cooperation between the two institutions are driving development and actions in order to consolidate a new balance among people’s subsistence needs. In addition, the prevailing economy dynamic and the potential of their (how can I say from people?) natural resources are on the basis from ecological, economic and social criteria."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Costa Rica
      • Current Location:
      • Costa Rica

Hello. You write, the phrase does not explain landscape type. As you can see I included forest landscape:
    "In that direction, the BMC, a strategic program of the CCAD, works in the maintenance and restoration of regional forest landscape connectivity. Thus, the cooperation between the two institutions are driving development and actions in order to consolidate a new balance among people’s subsistence needs. In addition, the prevailing economy dynamic and the potential of their (how can I say from people?) natural resources are on the basis from ecological, economic and social criteria."
    Is my paragraph understandable?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Dear Grumpy. Thank you. I edited the last sentence as:
    Strangely, I did not notice that Grumpy had already posted when I did. In any case, you added stuff (at least one word) and did not make things clearer. (That paragraph makes my head hurt.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hello. You write, the phrase does not explain landscape type.
    I did not notice that in either of our posts (mine or Grumpy's).

As you can see I included forest landscape:

It should be:

cooperation...is

Is my paragraph understandable?
    Maybe it would be helpful if there were additional context. (Maybe not.)

Last edited by Tarheel; 17-Dec-2014 at 18:50. Reason: Fix quote

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

In that direction, the BMC, a strategic program of the CCAD, works in the maintenance and restoration of regional forest landscape connectivity. Thus, the cooperation between the two institutions are driving development and actions in order to consolidate a new balance among people’s subsistence needs. In addition, the prevailing economy dynamic and the potential of their (how can I say from people?) natural resources are on the basis from ecological, economic and social criteria.

I find it hard to understand the paragraph too, especially the underlined parts.

in that direction - do you mean 'towards that end'?
    BMC, as you said in the second line, is an institution, not a program.

not a teacher

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Sebasttian, you need to work towards achieving clarity. After all, if people can't understand what you are saying what is the point?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Costa Rica
      • Current Location:
      • Costa Rica

Many thanks for your help.
    Yes, BMC and CCAD are institutions.
    For learning, what I try to do every day is translate into English text from technical or scientific papers writing in Spanish.
    I really apologize for my mistakes and insistence, but I want to learn how to write English correctly as much as possible. Therefore, I rewrote the paragraph, hoping that is more understandable.

Therefore, the BMC a CCAD’s strategic program, is working in restoration of Central American forest landscape connectivity and maintaining the actual connected areas. Thus, the cooperation between the two institutions are driving development and actions in order to consolidate a new balance for the subsistence needs of the people living in such areas. Consequently, the economy and the potential use of the natural resources must be based from ecological, economic and social criteria.Many thanks for your help.
    For learning, what I try to do every day is translate into English text from technical or scientific papers writing in Spanish.

Yes, BMC and CCAD are institutions.
    I really apologize for my mistakes and insistence, but I want to learn how to write English correctly as much as possible. Therefore, I rewrote the paragraph, hoping that is more understandable:

"Therefore, the BMC a CCAD’s strategic program, is working in restoration of Central American forest landscape connectivity and maintaining the actual connected areas. Thus, the cooperation between the two institutions are driving development and actions in order to consolidate a new balance for the subsistence needs of the people living in such areas. Consequently, the economy and the potential use of the natural resources must be based from ecological, economic and social criteria."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast