• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

A test on articles

Here is the test I have taken. I have a few issues here. The right articles are below as is said in the answers.

It has been announced that for the third consecutive month there has been a rise in the number of people unemployed, rather than the fall that had been predicted. The rise was blamed on the continuing uncertainty over government economic policy, and couldn't come at a worse time for the Prime Minister, who is facing a growing criticism over the way the present crisis is being handled. MPs are increasingly voicing fears that despite the recent devaluation of the pound and cuts in interest rates, the government still expects the recovery of the economy to take three or even four years.

My questions:

I have problems with this sentence:

The rise was blamed on the continuing uncertainty over government economic policy, and couldn't come at a worse time for the Prime Minister, who is facing a growing criticism over the way the present crisis is being handled.

1) Why is "the" necessary in "the continuing uncertainty"? What makes this uncertainty unique? It seems that it gets mentioned in this sentence for the first time. Is "a continuing uncertainty" possible?
    2) Why is it not needed to put "the" before government economic policy? Isn't it a unique policy?

Another problematic sentence

MPs are increasingly voicing fears that despite the recent devaluation of the pound and cuts in interest rates, the government still expects the recovery of the economy to take three or even four years.

3) Why is it "the recovery"? Why can't it be "a recovery?"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: A test on articles

Quote Originally Posted by Kotfor View Post

I have problems with this sentence:

The rise was blamed on the continuing uncertainty over government economic policy, and couldn't come at a worse time for the Prime Minister, who is facing a growing criticism over the way the present crisis is being handled.

1) Why is "the" necessary in "the continuing uncertainty"? What makes this uncertainty unique? It seems that it gets mentioned in this sentence for the first time. Is "a continuing uncertainty" possible?
    2) Why is it not needed to put "the" before government economic policy? Isn't it a unique policy?

Another problematic sentence

MPs are increasingly voicing fears that despite the recent devaluation of the pound and cuts in interest rates, the government still expects the recovery of the economy to take three or even four years.

3) Why is it "the recovery"? Why can't it be "a recovery?"
    1'The' refers to an implicit, widely understood, 'uncertainty'. 'A continuing uncertainty' would be most unusual, but 'The rise was blamed on continuing uncertainty...' would be possible.

2 By a journalistic convention 'government economic policy' = 'the government's economic policy'.

3 Governments (especially in the months before a General Election - if this is the UK government) have to sound positive. Rather than 'a recovery may happen' they say 'The recovery will take... [but it will surely come]'. 'The' means (here) 'the one we're working towards'. If you said 'a recovery' it would suggest uncertainty.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    2 By a journalistic convention 'government economic policy' = 'the government's economic policy'.

b
    Is "the government economic policy" also possible?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I wouldn't use it.