• Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Arrow A Few Sentences...

Hi,
    I'm here again. With a lot of questions. The following sentences aren't interrelated. All of them are different. And I wonder their means. Could yo help me please. Thanks already now.

--All tastes and interests catered for.

--Which you obviously do.

--Which is where I might be able to help

--Having to keep low eh? That's hard, 'specially with the cops being so trigger happy.

If you want a more context, I can give it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: A Few Sentences...

--All tastes and interests catered for.
    Whatever your particular preference is, we will provide for it. For example, if you are a vegetarian who enjoys watching gladiator movies, we will take care of you.

Something about this person is readily apparent. For example, their house might be decorated with Mickey Mouse statues and Dumbo wallpaper, etc. When you visit for the first time, you might say, "I brought a DVD to watch, just in case you like Walt Disney, which you obviously do."

You are able to supply a specific need. Suppose you work in a shop, and a customer requests a particular widget. You say, "We don't sell that item, but my brother works for ACME, which is where I might be able to help you. ACME works closely with the widget manufacturer; let me call him and see what we can do."

--Having to keep low eh? That's hard, 'specially with the cops being so trigger happy.
    The police are eager to shoot someone, and may do so without asking the appropriate questions or taking the proper legal steps first.

3. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Smile Re: A Few Sentences...

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch
    Something about this person is readily apparent. For example, their house might be decorated with Mickey Mouse statues and Dumbo wallpaper, etc. When you visit for the first time, you might say, "I brought a DVD to watch, just in case you like Walt Disney, which you obviously do."
    You are able to supply a specific need. Suppose you work in a shop, and a customer requests a particular widget. You say, "We don't sell that item, but my brother works for ACME, which is where I might be able to help you. ACME works closely with the widget manufacturer; let me call him and see what we can do."
    The police are eager to shoot someone, and may do so without asking the appropriate questions or taking the proper legal steps first.

First one is OK. But I didn't understand exactly second one.

And at the last one;

"Having to keep low eh?" What does it mean? And I wonder something more:

In the above sentence, "trigger happy" is phrase verb or adverb or what?(And what's the "being's" function?) And "so" means that "very"???
    Last edited by Kerim; 04-May-2006 at 15:34.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Having to keep low eh? That's hard, 'specially with the cops being so trigger happy.

Keep low = maintaining a low profile, not making your presence or your activities obvious. "Trigger-happy" in this case is an adjective, it describes the current state of mind of the police. "So" does indeed mean "very" in this case. "Being" is the verb.

5. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Talking Re: A Few Sentences...

Sorry, but I didn't understand keep low again. What's "maintainig a low profil"

And "which is where"... You mention about their grammer?

Keep low (to the ground), be out of someon'e sight; hide so no one sees you.

Dialogue
    Max: Where have you been, Sam. I haven't seen you for weeks. Have you been hiding?

Sam: No. Not hiding. I've been keeping low and staying at home most nights. I just don't have the cash these days to party every night like you, Max.

========

Relative pronoun
    ACME, which is where ...
    ACME is where ...

7. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea

ACME is where ...
    This is a relative, too? Or it means that "place"?. And last question:

I didn't understand the second sentence's explanation. "Which you obviously do."

8. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Also I can say that for the last sentence?

"Are you hiding?"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I didn't understand the second sentence's explanation. "Which you obviously do."

Sorry my explanation wasn't very clear.

"Which you obviously do" is something you would say to someone if you were acknowledging something about them that was readily apparent, or easy to see. For example, if you visit a friend in the hospital, and they appear to be very lonely and sad when you get there, you might say "I brought you some flowers in case you needed to be cheered up, which you obviously do."

"Are you hiding?"

"Hiding" isn't quite the same as "keeping low." If, for example, you are a drug dealer, and you hear that the police have been "trigger happy" lately, you would keep low by not going in the neighborhoods where you usually buy drugs, you wouldn't associate with known criminals, and you would be cautious when driving, obeying all laws, so as not to be stopped by the police for any reason, however minor. So you wouldn't really have to hide, or stay out of sight, you would just try to blend in with the rest of the crowd.

10. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch
    Sorry my explanation wasn't very clear.
    "Which you obviously do" is something you would say to someone if you were acknowledging something about them that was readily apparent, or easy to see. For example, if you visit a friend in the hospital, and they appear to be very lonely and sad when you get there, you might say "I brought you some flowers in case you needed to be cheered up, which you obviously do."
    "Are you hiding?"

"Hiding" isn't quite the same as "keeping low." If, for example, you are a drug dealer, and you hear that the police have been "trigger happy" lately, you would keep low by not going in the neighborhoods where you usually buy drugs, you wouldn't associate with known criminals, and you would be cautious when driving, obeying all laws, so as not to be stopped by the police for any reason, however minor. So you wouldn't really have to hide, or stay out of sight, you would just try to blend in with the rest of the crowd.
    Thanks. Keep low is OK. Now, what does "having to" mean? Or what does it function for the sentence?

Ok, I'm very sorry to post to you again and again. But I want to the grammer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast