• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Ask for help

Hello,

I would like to know if the phrase “smouldering purposes“ means “wicked, secret plans“ and if the word “poise“ is an analogy to “quiet manner“. In full text it is as follows:

He had failed her, when he took his life. She counted on him for something, and it was service so vital to her smouldering purposes that his failure to perform it moved her out of her monstrous poise.

Thanks if you try and help.
    Last edited by Johnyxxx; 17-Dec-2014 at 18:50.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Ask for help

Please use the Edit Post button to separate the words which have been run together and state the source and author of your quotation.

A better title would have been smouldering purposes.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Johnyxxx, the stuff you have been reading contains phrases which very well might appear nowhere else. For anybody to help you they would have to read the text for one or two paragraphs (perhaps more) before getting to the phrase in question to be able to figure it out. As practice for discerning meaning from context, maybe. For understanding the English language in general, I don't think so.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

I am keen on reading English literature and no wonder every now and then I find a phrase I am not sure I can understand properly, or a phrase which I cannot make head or tail of at all. That is why I am glad I have found this forum where I can ask somebody who knows the ropes to help me in comprehending what is hard to take for me. That is all and nothing more. End of story.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I am not meaning to start an argument. I am just saying that if it is a phrase I have never seen before I might not understand it any better than you do. I might have to read the text more or less from the beginning to have any hope of understanding that unfamiliar phrase. (But I'll keep trying.)