• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Which one is better to experss an Idea in a question form, "should, or ought to"?

Hi there, please help me with this. In my writing, my teacher suggest me to use "should" instead of "have to" in the second sentence of my answer.

Q: Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school.
    Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?

Answer(introduction): That the students should commence learning a second language in a very early age has been a topic of controversial debate in our modern life. Therefore, the question here is do our children have to learn a foreign language as early as they start to learn basic science and mathematics at schools or not?

As I used "should" in the previous sentence, i preferred to use another alternative "have to" so as to not repeat the same word "should".
    what is wrong with "have to"? Can i use "ought to" instead of the suggested word "should"?

Anyway, I am not totally OK with this part of my writing "do our children have to/should/ought to learn". How can i improve it?

Thanks for your attention.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Which one is better to experss an Idea in a question form, "should, or ought to"?

Quote Originally Posted by mehdi 100 View Post
    Hi there, please help me with this. In my writing, my teacher suggested that I use "should" instead of "have to" in the second sentence of my answer.

Q: Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school.
    Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?

Answer(introduction): That the students should commence learning a second language at a very early age has been a matter of controversy in our modern life. Therefore, the question here is do our children have to learn a foreign language as early as they start to learn basic science and mathematics at schools or not?

As I used "should" in the previous sentence, I preferred to use another alternative "have to" so as to not repeat the same word "should".
    what is wrong with "have to"? Can i use "ought to" instead of the suggested word "should"?

Anyway, I am not totally OK with this part of my writing "do our children have to/should/ought to learn". How can i improve it?
    Well, it is a matter of age. When it comes to learning languages, the younger the better. Also, in primary school the kids don't usually get a choice as to what they are taught. Finally, should and have to are not synonyms, but should and ought to are.