• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Honeyd obduracy ...

Hello,

Again I am out of my depths because I have found a phrase I cannot dare say I can deal with properly. It is:

The incident had been trivial. Someone - a lady - had called to one of the partners of the firm. Griggson, whose job it was to interpose a honyed obduracy between his masters and alluring importunity, happened to be upstairs just then. Selway was checking in the stock-room. To Old Coote had fallen the unappreciated felicity of interviewing the fair stranger.

Thanks if you try to help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Honeyd obduracy ...

Whatever it means, it has to be spelt 'honeyed' (=sweetened).

I'd advise reading less baffling prose.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Good advise, but you will not likely stop reading a literature you are fond of only because it sometimes contains a phrase or two which are hard to understand. I prefer reading a story with several baffling sentences which makes your day at the end to a tale you can comprehend fully and which makes you say after you have read it "Well, I understood it but it was a waste of time."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyxxx View Post
    Hello,

Again I am out of my depths because I have found a phrase I cannot dare say I can deal with properly. It is:

The incident had been trivial. Someone - a lady - had called to one of the partners of the firm. Griggson, whose job it was to interpose a honyed obduracy between his masters and alluring importunity, happened to be upstairs just then. Selway was checking in the stock-room. To Old Coote had fallen the unappreciated felicity of interviewing the fair stranger.

Thanks if you try to help.
    It was his job to say no to people who asked them for stuff. Politely and sweetly.

"Alluring importunity" is the people making quite tempting (alluring) solicitations in an urgent and persistent manner.

"Obduracy" is a stubborn resistance, to be unmoved by pity or moral persuasion.

So, it was his job ("for his masters") to reject people who were looking for something from the firm with persistence and emotion with an equally stubborn resistance to emotional pleas.