1. B45

My friends and I just drove from Utah to Florida and I'm wearing this thick jacket sh

My friends and I just drove from Utah to Florida and I'm wearing this thick jacket shopping on the streets of Florida. Someone stops to ask me if I was cold. I say:

I'm not cold, but we drove from Utah, so I'm just adjusting to the climate change.

Can this be said?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: My friends and I just drove from Utah to Florida and I'm wearing this thick jacke

It doesn't make a lot of sense. If you are not cold and you are in a warmer state, why are you still wearing a jacket?

2. B45

Re: My friends and I just drove from Utah to Florida and I'm wearing this thick jacke

How about this:

Yes, I'm a bit cold, maybe because my body is still adapting to the climate change or temperature change.

Are both okay at the end of the sentence?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

"Climate change" is a loaded term now, since the environmentalists started using that as a replacement for "global warming" (once they figured out that the warming they had predicted was not panning out). So, I would never say "climate change" to mean anything as simple as a change in climate caused by moving from one area to another.

If I went from a cold winter state to a warm one, like Florida, I would be the one without a jacket on. Or in a light jacket. While the locals had on their "winter coats." Your logic seems backwards.

60 degrees F would seem like cold to the Florida natives, but it would be warm to me.

3. B45

I think temperature change in this situation would be better. Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

I'd say 'I'm getting used to the warmer weather'.